• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Priming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flash

I'm thinking about going to an inline pump, but I don't want the hassle of setting up a fill tube. Would this work instead? Couldn't I connect the whole setup and drop the pump in a second reservoir until the system filled, then remove the pump, dry it off, and consider my system filled?

Sharp

Registered
a pump that isn't self priming requires that it be filled with water to start with [no air] to begin puming. If you have a closed system what you said should work. It sounds like you want to sumbmerge the pump to do it though, are you sure your pump is submersable??

OP
F

Flash

Sharp (Jul 10, 2001 12:45 a.m.):
a pump that isn't self priming requires that it be filled with water to start with [no air] to begin puming. If you have a closed system what you said should work. It sounds like you want to sumbmerge the pump to do it though, are you sure your pump is submersable??

Yep, it's submersible. It's a Danner Mag 7. Haven't bought it yet, but they carry them at a local pet shop. I'm hoping this upgrade lowers my temps 4-5 degrees or more. I'm currently using a submersible Rio 1800 pump, so I'll be going from 185 gph to 700 gph and from submersible to inline.

I think this should do the trick and make my system totally stable at 1.54ghz, and maybe get me up to 1.56ghz. Right now I'm only borderline stable--Prime95 stress test runs for about an hour, but eventually fails. I did a test to see if lowering the temperatures would make a difference (put my reservoir in ice water) and Prime95 ran without a hitch at 46c.

OP
F

Flash

Sharp (Jul 10, 2001 06:55 p.m.):
good luck

Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be able to do it until next weekend, as the inlaws are descending tomorrow.

OP
F

Flash

zoopa_man (Jul 11, 2001 08:34 a.m.):
AGGgggg don't you hate it when that happens. You'v got big plans and something better comes up. Hehehe ???

You have no idea. Back on topic though, it's occurred to me that I've been worrying about this filling issue for no reason. Doh!! Since I plan on using a reservoir it won't be a closed system and there's no need to worry about bleeding the air out by first submerging the pump. The air will just bubble out of the reservoir eventually. I got confused because so many of the inline setups I've seen *are* closed systems.

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I have the Eheim pump that can be used as a submersible or an inline. To make it an inline you put a piece in that seals off the intake so you can attach a tube to the intake. Once you have it on you can still drop it in water, but it will not pump anything but what comes from the tube. These pumps do not pull air, so what you have to do is the same as what I am doing. Make your reservoir slightly higher than the pump intake. That way when you put water in the reservoir it flows down to the pump and "autoprimes" it.