• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump question - I gotta order tonight so please look!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

OK, I'm building a roughly four foot bong setup. It's gonna run a CPU and GPU block in series. It's gonna be setup res/bong->pump->CPU->GPU->bong showerhead.

The waterblocks are the new revised CPUFX Z4 and CPUFX GeForce3 block. The whole setup is 1/2".

Now I need to get a pump, I already researched and set on the Danner Mag Drive series since they have a good high head. I originally chose the Danner 5 since at 4' it pumps 310 GPH. Now, that's unobstructed and under controlled conditions, so in reality I'll probably be looking at ~200 GPH. The next step up is the Danner 7 which does 480 at 4'. Drop that down with the resistance of the system and whatnot and you got at least 350 GPH.

Those figures are all guesstimates but whatever.

Now I need some advice, which one? The price difference is $3 so that's not an issue, I just don't want to overkill it with the Danner 7 (700 GPH at 0' head!).

Thanks!

Code:
Pump Specs:

Head        Feet            0    2    4    6    8    10   Max ht Watts

Mag Drive #3   Flow (gph)  350  325  270  177   77   20    10'
Mag Drive #5   Flow (gph)  500  410  310  180   75   10    10'    45
Mag Drive #7   Flow (gph)  700  550  480  400  300  120    13'    65

--Illah

residentevil2

Disabled
well i dont know about "danner" But on dangerden.com they ehiem 1024 is the most popular pump but for a bong setup i would get the 1280 eheim pump.

I have a bong setup as well with a rad 5 gall resv ad a shower head also and i use a 1024 eheim pump works fine for me.

get the 300gph pump or 500gph the 700 is to much power

me i would get the 300

bongo

Don't get the model 7 (700GPH).

I used it for a week, it makes a decent amount of noise and runs very hot. I mean, after having it on for 30-40 min it was too hot to touch.

(btw- I gave the model 7 to my dad for his pond, and this puppy is soo powerful it manages to pump through 2 - box filters and also 2 UVlight/organic/foam filters from two ponds that are 250-300 gal. each.-- if you aren't familiar with ponds, this is alot of restrictions!!)

I do also have a model 5 and model 2 dAnner..... The model 2 more than satisfies my inline needs.

But if you plan on using it for a bong, then the model 5 is your best bet. (These pumps are one of the few on the market that really stand up to there claimed specs.)

Skulemate

Well, from a quick glance at the data you provided, I'd say stay away from the Model 5... it's got nothing over the Model 3 that is useful in a restrictive setup. Its only advantage is increased flow with no change in pressure... not a good combination. Remember that in all liklihood in your bong there's going to be a good deal of resistance from a variety of sources (fittings, tubing for the lift, the lift itself) and you'll probablly end up on the high pressure end of the H-Q curve. In this case the two pumps are almost identical, but I bet the Model 5 is using more power to do the job (to see what I mean, look at the 6, 8 and 10 ft values on his table... the Model 3 actually has the same or higher flow rate than the 5... so which do you think is advantageous?).

You may get some improvement with the Model 7 over the Model 3 since it does have a bit more head, but I bet the increased flows at these heights will negate this difference in head (i.e. consume it due to greater resistances in the fittings and tubing) for the most part...

OP
Illah

Illah

Yeah, good points made by all. I had my doubts about the 7 being too powerful, but dude mentioning it killing ponds or something really shows it!

So 5 or 3? Hmmmm. I always figured they were almost the same design cuz once you get to about 5-6' they're almost equal.

***ten minutes later***

Ok I just ordered (really, I did, just now mid post) and while talking to the guy he tells me the 3 and 5 have the same motor just a slightly different design that allows the 5 to push more in low pressure (something about the angle of the impeller). So I got me a Danner 3 in the mail. Thanks for the help guys!

--Illah