• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

purchase advice for 1155 water block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

berninicaco3

Hi!

I was looking for a new case, and on an impulse buy, got this:
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/sys/4565385494.html

I was planning on getting just a case for $100, but this seemed too good to pass up. I can sell the psu to recover some too.
I've never done water cooling (just an h100i-- the lazy man's solution).

The water block included may not, in fact, be compatible; and it was missing the backing plate and 2 screws besides, so I negotiated to $300 and now I have $50 towards a new water block that would be compatible.

I have 4 questions I'd like to ask you:

It looks like they do make parts for 1156-- is this the same as 1155? (I have a 3770k chip). I'd spend probably $30 after shipping to get it all to work.
http://www.swiftech.com/apogeegtz.aspx

Alternatively, I could just buy a brand new block that is compatible with 1155 out of the box. Suggestions?
And in that event, anyone want an apogee gtz missing backing plate for just cost of shipping? :)

I play games mostly, should I look at cooling my 2 radeon 3750 gpus with this setup? It would mean at a minimum more hosing and 2 more blocks that would fit on them ($100?)

Finally, will this setup --again, just an irrational impulse buy, forgive me, but now i have a nice case at least-- actually net gains over the simpler h100 cooler that I currently have?
As a follow up, should I look at delidding the cpu to get the most out of this fine water cooling setup?

apologies in advance for my naive questions! At a minimum this silly impulse buy of mine will be a nice introduction into the world of *real* water cooling setups :D (h100i doesn't count).

In case the craigslist post is removed, here's what I now have:
00T0T_8khTgMAorJ1_600x450.jpg
Up for sale is the best of the best for water cooled computers. Its a customized Corsair 800D case modified for DUAL water cooled systems 1 system is on a 360 radiator the other is on a 240 radiator. I was able to do extreme over clocking with this setup and able to keep the temperature of all water cooled components to 1-5 degrees above ambient temperature which is insane. I have over $1300 invested in just the case alone "what i am selling" It is turn key setup ready to accept 90% of all motherboard CPU with water block that is in it. The other system can be either disabled or combined to make a 600 radiator setup. Or if you have a video card water block just plug it in and go.
The pictures do not do it justice, its a must see.
The front of the case from top down
Bay 1 - Digital fan controller to adjust the fans manually or set automatic with water temp.
Bay 2+3 - XSPC dual water reservoir to add water or empty on maintenance
Bay 4 - LG lightscripe dvd burner Works fine just dont need it so I left in case
Bay 5 - Scrolling matrix display and IR receiver never used the IR part but matrix can be setup to display computer temps cpu speeds things like that.

-------

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Black Ice Xtreme 2 High Performance Radiator - Black (EXTREME2-BK) = $59.00
Fitting Size 3/8" OD
2 x Swiftech MCP355â„¢ 12 VDC Pump (MCP355) = $139.90
1 x Black Ice Xtreme 3 X-Flow Radiator - Black (BIX3_XFLOW-BK) = $79.00
Fitting Size 1/2" OD
1 x *** HOT *** XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Dual Laing DDC (XSPC-DDCBAYTWO) = $68.93
Nozzles Add Pair Bitspower Compression Fitting 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
1 x Swiftech APOGEE GTZ Ultra Extreme Performance Universal Water-block (APOGEE-GTZ) = $59.95
Water Block Backplate Stock Water Block Back Plate
6 x Bitspower Premium G1/4" Black Matte High Flow 3/8" (5/8") Compression Fitting (BP-MBCPF-CC3) = $53.70
5 x *** NEW *** PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (PFLEXP-58-BK) = $10.00
5 x *** NEW *** PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (PFLEXP-58-R) = $10.00
5 x *** NEW *** Cooler Master High Performance 120MM R4 Series RED LED Case Fan - Sleeved (R4-L2R-20CR-GP) = $44.75
Sleeve Color Black
Heatshrink Color Black
2 x Bitspower G 1/4" Silver Shiny Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting (BP-WTP-CT) = $15.90
2 x *** NEW *** Bitspower Dual G1/4" High Flow Fitting - Male to Male Thread - Black Matte Finish (BP-MBWP-C08) = $7.98
2 x Bitspower Black Sparkle "T" Fitting - 180 Degree Water Cooling Accessory (BP-BSTMB) = $25.00
Nozzles No Nozzles
1 x Scythe Kaze Server 5.25" Fan Controller - Black (KS01-BK) = $39.95
1 x *** HOT *** Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - A Full-Featured Full Tower for Real Builders (CC800DW) = $299.95
1 x Corsair CMPSU-950TX "TX Series" 950 Watt High Performance Power Supply (CMPSU-950TX) = $159.95

I'd be surprised if any of that stuff works. The case is filthy, and so is the loop. Save your money, and stay away.

You need to clean that case out. At the same time you won't know whats been done to that loop. Just the way this guy took pics of it tells me he's careless. Even if you weren't using something. My vacant cases don't even look half as bad.

Clean it out and see if you can salvage something otherwise you're looking at a bust. Find out what works in the bays and what doesn't. Make sure there wasn't prior growth but regardless, you'll be replacing the tubing and the CPU block at least. You'll need to clean the daylights out of the radiators, pumps etc. The fittings should be ok but after some cleaning to them as well. Clean it all and get rid of the tubing for Primochill Advanced LRT and the newer affordable CPU blocks, the Swiftech Apogee XL or the XSPC Raystorm. I wouldn't water cool those GPUs unless you get a high level GPU otherwise its not worth the added cost.

Impulse buying is the worst. I know, I've done it as well. lol

Last edited:
"Make sure there wasn't prior growth"
...you're talking mold?

The deed is done. I'll try to salvage it. He says nothing leaked and everything ran last he used it, and I believe him on that.
Looks like I'm getting the water block either way, 'cause the 1155 adapters alone are $30 anyway so what's a marginal $30 for brand new. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll go with whichever is on the deeper sale (raystorm vs apogee).
It's filthy in dust, and I guess there is a chance of mold. He was using the appropriate non-conductive coolant in it, there's actually still a bit sloshing around in the tank lol (though obviously the loop has been opened, up a bit higher).

In my shoes, how would you go about cleaning it?
1) take it ALL out. that much is clear.
2) do you like to run soapy water through the radiators...? bleach?
3) for dusty radiators, cans of air, vacuum cleaner, or perhaps more soapy water and some pressure from the faucet then let them dry out? Take the parts to my local auto shop and use their air gun?

I'm going to admit here that my current computer is even dustier, and that h100i radiator even more clogged. I try to remove the radiator and vacuum it every few months at most, but it gets dusty so fast. What kind of cleaning schedule and habits do you follow for maintenance?

Sorry it's been a couple weeks, been busy. So this rig has 2 loops but it makes very little sense to cool my gpus and reselling the second pump / radiator isn't worth it.

Can I actually double up the one loop for extra cooling?
I mean: pump1, CPU, rad1, pump2, rad2, back to pump1 all inline?
Or am I nuts? Just looking for an excuse to utilize the second pump and radiator.

Should I look at MOSFET cooling? (Z77 extreme9)

Sorry it's been a couple weeks, been busy. So this rig has 2 loops but it makes very little sense to cool my gpus and reselling the second pump / radiator isn't worth it.

Can I actually double up the one loop for extra cooling?
I mean: pump1, CPU, rad1, pump2, rad2, back to pump1 all inline?
Or am I nuts? Just looking for an excuse to utilize the second pump and radiator.

Should I look at MOSFET cooling? (Z77 extreme9)

120.5 for cooling just the CPU, which is not even the hottest part in the system, thus massive overkill.... sure, if it makes you happy :)

It would make more sense to me to put the GPUs under water instead, but hey :)

Back