• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Purchasing components overseas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I was curious if prices there are much cheaper. Could anyone give any examples if they've ever compared them? mostly looking at CPU/GFX cards/memory. Any country will do for the most part. I'm going to be looking at going somewhere in January so was just curious what exists out there.

I'm not 100% set on any specific system setup yet. I started out looking into home server upgrades but if parts in asia are much cheaper I might go ahead and build a new desktop along with upgrading the server.

psionic98

you gotta also take into account currency conversion rates... you used to feel like a king going from the US to Canada at near 2:1 rate on exchanges...prices may be cheaper, but if you dont have a good conversion you may still get screwed.

Though if you went out to china/japan area you may score some deals on chips out there

OP
T

ToiletDuck

I was thinking more china, korea, thailand, etc. I fly for an airline so i can go anywhere. Figured I might as well score a sweet setup while there.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Beware of buying software oversea. Some Asian countries tended to have pirated software in large quantity. If it sounds too cheap to be true, walk away.

Actually don't buy software (especially Windows) oversea, they may not work on local computer due to region restriction.

OP
T

ToiletDuck

I don't want software. I already own Windows Home server and 7 I just want cheap components.

Rich'[ard]

well one thing for sure is warrantee is going to be a PITA.
what're you going to do when when one piece of hardware fails and you want an exchange etc.

Sydney

When I'm thinking cheap components overseas I think of the US. Your stuff is already dirt cheap over there. But if you are thinking the Asian market you might have a point.

Springbok

Singapore and Thailand are both big on PC hardware, you could get most components for prices comparable to Newegg b/c there is a lot of local competition among sellers. Singapore has a a couple mall-like buildings dedicated to selling PC hardware, Sim Lim Square always has the latest mobos/cpus/hsf's etc. Singapore also has another mall which has more retail shops & department stores, less OEM stuff. Thailand has a building called Pantip Plaza which is pretty similar to Sim Lim Square, lots of PC vendors that will sell you retail or OEM hardware and will build it for you if you want.

The other place I've bought a PC was in South Africa, where the shops were more like Best Buy or Circuit City. They sold a few individual hardware pieces at marked up retail, but mostly sold complete branded systems.