• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

purchasing multiple licenses for winxp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceRangerJoe

im working on starting a custom computer building company with some friends, and i was wondering where i can look to purchase multiple copies of software such as windows xp home, and office xp, hopefully at a discounted rate, since i will be purchasing several at once. i dont really know where to start, so any help would be appreciated. thanks a bunch.

Doc_Skurlock

Call these guys. 1-877-426-6010. These are the licensing guys at Microsoft and they will hook you up. I mean, they will hook you up with multiple licenses of OS' and Office programs. I do not what kind of discount there is for purchasing multiple programs.
Doc

stool

There is a good chance you'll have to incorporate, and register in your state as a reseller, to get volume discounts.

S_Wilson

Hard Working Member
stool said:
There is a good chance you'll have to incorporate, and register in your state as a reseller, to get volume discounts.

You don't need to incorporate to become a reseller. Should just be able to file your trade name and file the sales tax form with the state to get a sales tax license. A sales tax license is enough to qualify for reseller for volume discounts.

Space Ranger Joe, I strongly recommend that you find the Small Business Incubator as they will have loads of information about starting a business and entities. Tulsa used to have one but I am not sure if they do any longer.

Different entities have different strengths. Coporations and LLC-LLP will sheild your personal assets but require different forms be filed with the state. "C" corporations get taxed at the corporate level and the recipient level which makes them double taxed so you would want to file form 2553 with the IRS for an "S" corporation to avoid double taxing. LLC-LLP limit liability like a corporation but operate with the tax simplicity of a sole proprieter or partnership.

If you are serious or even half hearted, find the Small Business Incubator or something like it for all the information.

OP
SpaceRangerJoe

SpaceRangerJoe

thanks wilson. i know next to nothing about starting/running a business, i just build computers. the guys that i will be starting the business with however, do. we still have a lot to talk about before we get up and running, but we have an agreement, that i will be building them, and they will be doing everything else. if this works out how i hope it can, we will want to be incorporated, but were a little ways off from making that kind of decision. thank you very much for the information.

Doc_Skurlock

I'm looking at starting a business too. I'm planning on a sole proprietorship. I'll have an accountant handle expenses and I'll do my best to do everything else. Good luck SpaceRanger, and maybe we'll do business someday.
Doc

OP
SpaceRangerJoe

SpaceRangerJoe

what kinda business are you planning on starting. mine will be completely custom computer design, targeting middle to high end users. i dont even want to get into the entry level market, like the $700 complete system. i cant make money off that. if anyone has any ideas on advertising, i would love to hear it. if it ends up making me a ton of money, maybe ill send you a free computer or something, hehe. thanks a ton.

Doc_Skurlock

I'm looking at doing computer repair, and some middle to high end user stuff. There are a lot of rich people around my area and a lot of corporations around my prospected office. I imagine I could make some bucks. Advertise on cable tv and make a website are the best things I can say. Perhaps we can share ideas, since we're close and all that. My great grandpa lived in Tulsa. Let me know what you come up with. Sorry for taking so long to respond, I didn't subscribe to this thread.
Doc

Tick

New here! Hello all!

I found a paper License on Pricewatch.com for 106.00 shipped. Whole lot cheaper than M$!

Tick

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Tick said:
New here! Hello all!

I found a paper License on Pricewatch.com for 106.00 shipped. Whole lot cheaper than M$!

Tick

is there any assurance that it hasn't been used? i mean, it is has been used then it really doesn't work too well if it's xp

Tick

I called three different places, everyone gave 100% aasurance of getting a legal copy of XP. Its like anything you buy off the net! Buyer beware!

I expect it in a few days. I will let you know how it works!

Tweaked!

Xtreme refugee
Tick said:
I called three different places, everyone gave 100% aasurance of getting a legal copy of XP. Its like anything you buy off the net! Buyer beware!

I expect it in a few days. I will let you know how it works!

Welcome to O/C!!!:D

Glad to see ya around, bet it really took a lot to peel yourself away from sysops;)