• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pure Copper HSF w/ Opteron 165, 30 Idle, 63 Load???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Ok. I've been in love with my XP-120 for the past few months that I've had it, really bad *** temps. With my Opteron 165 @ 1.488vcore 290x9, About 27 ~ 28C Idle & 42 ~ 44C Load. Very nice temps on air for a dual core opty eh? I'd say so.

My buddy Rattle found this Dynatron A51 pure copper passive heatsink on NewEgg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835114033 ) and seeing the logic in it, he thought it would be a good HS if you throw a fan on it.So he took the hit and ordered one for about 22$ shipped. Got it, threw it on, put 2x stock amd fans, and got the same exact temps as his XP-120 w/ lower speed fans & 40$ back in his pocket. So I ordered me one and tried the same. Idle is nearly the same as my XP-120, 30C. But when I dual prime load it...it spikes all the way up to 63C...with 2 fans...I even tried a 120mm fan moving 119CFM, same temps. I remounted it a few times, perfect ammmount of AS5, really tight, really loose, right inbetween, same friggin temps.

You'd think this huge piece of copper would at least be able to match a stock HSF. Anyone gotta clue to my troubles?

Edit: Some more info, I mounted it on a DFI Ultra-D - nothing was getting in the way of it going down, perfect clearance. I stuck 2 stock amd hsf's on it, even raised so more direct airflow. Ambient was really low and the case was wide open.

Sounds like you've done everything you can do. Maybe since it's a cheaper brand, you got a bad sample with a badly warped base? Try your friend's on your chip and see what happens.

He has a X2 3800+ and was using 1.5vcore to test. My base looks kinda awakward, wasn't very shiny but it was rather flat. Sat flat on a hardwood desk at least. I know Optys run warmer than X2s, but thats non-sense. I got the same temps passive as well. Some of the copper fins are bunched together, since I've got nothing to loose you think speading them out some might help?

Spreading the fins wouldn't be a bad idea if there are some touching. Take a credit card or a razor blade and test to see if the base is flat. Thats a better test than a table. The base could be concave and sit flat still.

It may be that the opty really takes advantage of the heatpipes on the XP-120... without them, you are just not getting the desired rate of heat transfer.

Cheers.

Consider lapping the base, as from what I've seen (and boy have I seen many) :p Dynatron heatsink bases are not very well finished in general.

mine was decent finish wise, I didnt see lapping my *** off for 1c worth it so I let fly...I didnt do anything strange really, just put a nice dab of AS5 on top of me x2 and bolted her down, I used an old backplate from a gigabitch mobo with thru holes and used nuts and bolts. I took 2 fans off A64 stock HS's which are deltas, and I ziptied them to the A51. they hang off the sides of the A51 nicely and my PWM temps are same as my CPU temps now. Depending on room temps I get 28-34c idle and 38-44c load same as my xp120 with delta triblade high speed fan. It can be 80 F in here sometimes usually 75 ....

I am always doing things to my PC, I had a 3700, a 146, a 144, now an x2 3800 and who knows what else, the xp120 is a PITA and frankly I wasnt to impressed with it, so I experimented and it paid off for me :shrug:

I dunno what the deal is with yours man, kinda weird....

only thing I can think of is your opty runs hotter :p maybe the HEAT cant escape with the A51 on top, i dont see how my ventilation can be much better than yours, I have a bigger case but I am only using 80's for instake and exhaust :shrug:

Last edited:
Well that Athlon XP+M I picked up will need a new HSF. Guess I can try it on that. Also, I was looking at the drill press I got here at the school and it would work perfectly for drilling holes in the soft copper. I'm thinking about taking the Zalman off my 7800GTX and taking some dimensions. Other than that, I'm willing to guess that Optys just simply run hotter, though the funny thing is, those heatsinks are made for Optys.

Well to test if it's flat use a drop of water and a pain of glass if the water spreads evenly then it's flat

chevro1et said:
Doesn't the opty dual cores come with a heatpipe HSF solution anyways?

Cheers.

Yes but in my personal experience it doesn't perform as well as my already owned XP-120 - I was looking for a low profile or simply try-something-new setup.

castroman said:
Well to test if it's flat use a drop of water and a pain of glass if the water spreads evenly then it's flat

How can you tell...? Like what would it look like.

ziggo0 said:
How can you tell...? Like what would it look like.

It would be quite hard to tell. An easier method is to look at the reflection of some type of grid on the base (screen door, printed grid, anything) and see if it's distorted.

i'm not taking my block off and sending it to indy :p

zigg you got a machine shop in your school ?

ask anyone with a half a brain to check it for flatness. they can either put it on a surface plate if they have one and check it with different size feeler gauges, or they can put three 123 blocks on the surface plate put the flat part of the HS on them and check in the area not touching the 123 blocks with an indicator

this is really the ONLY way you can check for tru flatness by hand

Yeah its fine, I don't want you to send it anyways. I live in LaPorte noob :)

I'm not sure if we are wealthy enough here to have that but I can look around. The base of the heatsink is to ****ty to use graph paper, there is almost zero reflectivness.

Just Put the XP 120 back on who cares if its a ***** to take on and off nobody changes cpu's like Rattle anyway.He's like a mad scientest with this stuff..lol always Looking for something better

now say something Rattle...LMAO

I liked you better when you didnt have internet jackass

aside from getting same temps as my xp120, i have much better ease of use and I dont have this bigass HS in the way of everything, plus it cost $18 not $65 for my xp120 and 120mm delta :rolleyes:\

go back to HWA :p

Last edited:
Butt munch.. I love you to..lol

I agree with you there but you already had the XP 120 but like i said you and only you need a very easy to remove heat/sink because you change cpu's like i change my under wear...lol you know once a week..lol :p

Ziggo
do you have a small level you can check for flatness what one of those to

Back