• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

purpose for A7V onboard fan pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z_z

I recently bought another A7V, and as a kit, the cooling fan was attached to the pwr_fan attachment. Do these 4 different fan pin sites have specific purposes?
I'm running about 15 fans on one of my systems (over 1/2 are for cooling a RAID 5 array) and want to be sure everything is as effective as possible. This system isn't even overclocked, it's just a 700 Duron with a noisy thermaltake on it (and the bearings are going bad in it)
I think the four sites are pwr_fan;cha_fan;f_fan;&cpu fan. Are these automatically speed regulating fan attachments, and where is a good source (or model numbers) for fans that regulate their speed ---and are quiet ;)

Thanks,
Jeff

nothing special about those fan headers. they're just ordinary ones with a 12v lpin, ground pin and rpm sensing pin. apart from the f_fan, which has no rpm sensing..

They don't regulate their own speed... the third pin is, as proze said, simply for monitoring the RPM of the fan. A very useful way to ensure that they are working.

Of the four fan headers on the A7V, here are the differences that I've found:

1. All of them offer RPM monitoring except for F_FAN.
2. If you set the BIOS "CPU fan diabled in Sleep?" to On, then all of the fans are turned off in Sleep/Suspend except for PWR_FAN.

I hope this helps.

Back