• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pushing FX63XX/83XX- Air vs Water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Ok so I have spoken with a couple of you guys in previous threads about this, but wanted to toss it out and speak of it specifically in it's own thread. For these particular CPU's (yes I read the sticky on air vs water) where do we stand. This will be for my personal rig to get me by and wait to see what Zen has to offer before deciding what higher platform to jump into. I will be using it for work and email during the day and for gaming and benchmarking in the after hours. I would like to start benchmarking around here as I got hooked already pushing the limits of hardware in two other builds. :thup:

So how much will I gain from water (whether AIO or custom loop) over a high end air CPU cooler in a case with good airflow....?

Here's a link to the build for now nothing set in stone, stuff that shows $0.00 for price is on hand:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=Vz4frH

I have been planning and looking into water so not very well versed on the Air coolers.......

Last edited:
if you don't own any top end am3 stuff I'd just stay out.
but if you're in here's how I would go and do go now.
biggest, thickest rad I can get, good pump/res combo.
buy atminsides 8350 from the classies.
let me go get a link or two.

- - - Updated - - -

this>>>>>>> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/766801-FS-AMD-FX-8350
it's a proven upper end sample.

and the supernova and a pump from this guy, >>>>>>>>> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/768344-Used-high-end-water-for-sale

I use a super novo and an mora and bench at 5.6 and at those clocks and voltages you need all the cool you can get.

dig some used stuff out of the classies to tide you over, I buy lots of used toys, play with them a bit and then I don't feel as much pain when it's time to get rid of them or I blow them up.

you might need a few more posts, can a mod chime in on that please.

dig some used stuff out of the classies to tide you over, I buy lots of used toys, play with them a bit and then I don't feel as much pain when it's time to get rid of them or I blow them up.

I was thinking about that, but most of the old stuff still worth using is not too much cheaper from what I have found.......

Still can't see the classies here anxiously waiting lol.

a lot of the stuff in the classies is not old junk, you have to know what's what.
I just bought a 980 out of the classies, it cost me an older gpu the was sitting on the shelf collecting dust that I valued at $150 plus $200 boot, so I paid $350 for an up to date card that retailed in the $500's. you just have to deal a bit and be willing to pay a bit, and sit and watch a bit.

a lot of the stuff in the classies is not old junk, you have to know what's what.
I just bought a 980 out of the classies, it cost me an older gpu the was sitting on the shelf collecting dust that I valued at $150 plus $200 boot, so I paid $350 for an up to date card that retailed in the $500's. you just have to deal a bit and be willing to pay a bit, and sit and watch a bit.

Ok I have been keeping an eye on another board where I can see, but here it says "private" so just waiting for the heavens to open up the classies for me lol :D

So how much will I gain from water (whether AIO or custom loop) over a high end air CPU cooler in a case with good airflow....?

There is no comparison.
It's water or bust in my books.

Why buy a Ferrari only to drive 60Km/h in it?

Water. Big rad, I have the XSPC RX 360 v2 just for my FX 6300. My pump is the Swiftech MCP 655.
CHV like you have picked out is the #1 AMD board. It's meant for sub zero benching. 2nd best board is the Sabertooth R2.0 (NOT Gen3).

FX is meant to play with. Tinkering with the overclocks is a blast. :thup:

You also need 100 posts to get classies access, which you have. PM a mod as this access to the classies (IIRC) is supposed to be automatic.

If your not going to go with a custom loop then just buy a real good air cooler. Most of the AIO coolers will not out preform a real good air cooler. A custom loop is the way to go with the FX8XXX chips

There is no comparison.
It's water or bust in my books.

Why buy a Ferrari only to drive 60Km/h in it?

Water. Big rad, I have the XSPC RX 360 v2 just for my FX 6300. My pump is the Swiftech MCP 655.
CHV like you have picked out is the #1 AMD board. It's meant for sub zero benching. 2nd best board is the Sabertooth R2.0 (NOT Gen3).

FX is meant to play with. Tinkering with the overclocks is a blast. :thup:

You also need 100 posts to get classies access, which you have. PM a mod as this access to the classies (IIRC) is supposed to be automatic.

Yeah the classie opened up for me now I'm browsing already lol.....

Thanks for the input.......

- - - Updated - - -

Ok guys seems like water it is then if I go 83XX...... :D

Back