• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pushing my 6800NU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

I have a 6800 AGP 128mb, I want to squeeze this card...in Riva all I can go to is 375/854....after that it throttles....I looked at the sticky about flashing the BIOS...but it said if you can't unlock the pipes...don't do it because the script automatically unlocks the pipes permanently...I can unlock the shadrer but the pipes give me artifacts....is that still true about the BIOS flashing?....anyone have any ideas how to push this card?

night8jim

Well i have had the same prob, the best thing to do is unlock the pipes and try loads of drivers. i managed to find some drivers that worked with the extra piplines fine.

OP
blueswitch

blueswitch

night8jim said:
Well i have had the same prob, the best thing to do is unlock the pipes and try loads of drivers. i managed to find some drivers that worked with the extra piplines fine.

Interesting, I always thought either you had broken pipes or not..I didn't know drivers could get them working.

night8jim

well yeah i think its the drivers that actually break them, well not break them but dont accept them right.

>HyperlogiK<

On many of the cards with masked pipes they work somewhere between not at all (card crashes to desktop when you try and run a 3d app) and perfectly. Most have some problems and so produce some artifacts. I'm pretty sure that the cause of the artifacts has nothing to do with the drivers, they are the result of flaws in the GPU (which is one of the reasons why it didn't end up in a 6800GT instead). However i think some drivers can help remove or reduce the artifacts, omega (possibly DNA too, never tried them though) drivers did on my Radeon 9500. This probably has to do with their image quality tweaks or postprocessing or something, the software isn't fixing your broken silicon.

Few things which I have heard (most from techpowerup's softmod FAQ)

Disable Hierarchical-Z (Use a tweak utility, "Rtool" on radeons)
Force Anti-Aliasing (higher the better)
Force Anisotropic Filtering (higher the better)
Force Vsync
Force 16-Bit color

Bear in mind that while most of these reduce performance, a few extra pipelines unlocked will probably increase it quite a bit.

BIOS flashing and changing the card ID does pretty much the same thing as the softmod, and you will get artifacts just the same.