• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pushing value ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluemagic

Hi
I am new to over clocking my old athlon 1ghz on a A7V board wasnt up to the game. "Far Cry" so built what i thought would be a good stable system not the best gamming rig but after getting dizzy reading all the posts on differant boards about memory timming and setting problems people had with the differant AMD bassed systems I purchased a Intel p4c 3.2ghx 800fsb chip and a 875p board and corsairs value select ram at the time i wasnt going to over clock but as you all may know one bench test leads to another
so I have the bug.
p4c 3.2ghx 800fsb @3.4ghz 852fsb
Asus P4C800-E deluxe
1024 valueselect corsair pc3200 ddr400 dual channel enabled @ 213mhz
ati 9800pro flashed to 9800xt @ 432/371
3dmark03 6708 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2743771
the hydrocool200ex due here in a day or 2 so far on Zalman air for the cpu and the ATI card this runs good at 32c idle and just about 40c on the cpu and 45c on the ATI lots of fans lol extra intake whole neer the ATI card but after seeing the screws loosen up on that huge zalman heat sink with a big fan hanging of one end and my temps sorring i ordered this hydrocool. eventually i may move to a amd platform and it will get ussed there but for now I want to see where this P-4 will go. Just how far do you think the value ram will go and what will indicate that its reached its max. trying not to break things is the big goal hear im far from ritch.

Well not much experience overclocking ram but for pc3200 cheap stuff. 225 with lax timings seems to be where it will top out for the most part. Basically If I was you I would set the ram into a 5:4 divider and start working your way up to a speed where the computer gets unstable then up the volts to about 1.6. Watch your temps and see how high it can go. You might have to loosen the ram timings off inorder to get it to go higher at a certain point but if it doesn't get any stabler after loosening the ram timings back off 5mhz on the fsb and stress test.

Not sure how well the that Value Select RAM overclocks, but I will tell you this: unlike AMD systems, Intel loves the 5:4 ratio (320 setting on your Asus mobo). Also, the timings are not as critical with the P-4 systems as with AMD. Since that CPU should do close to 3.6 gig (225 FSB) with default or low voltage, I'd use the 5:4 ratio and see how high it goes like Jigga suggested. This will probably allow you to use tighter timings too. You have excellent cooling, so increasing vcore a little is not a concern. I'd think you should hit 3.7 to 3.8 gig with 1.6v or so.

really cheap ram can do amazing things, i have a stick of ddr 266 in my system right now that was FREE after rebate at office max 256mb

it will run at ddr 420 so 133versus210 at stock voltage, with tight timings, if i back the speed down, it will do 2-2-2-6 at stock vltg

if you want to go farther give it a tenth of a volt more and see what she'll do

I puchased the exact sticks about 8 months ago. I have a 2.8c and with a 5:4 I could get it to 234 FSB, and that was it. Not really sure how others have done, like batboy said I haven't seen it on the boards a ton.

well i ran the fsb up to 220 today and ran some test's it seemed fine i dont have a temp prob on the north bridge but i will soon and the hydrocool 200ex is gona be at the door in an hour or so so im gona wait till she is all plumed up and some temp probes added before I get to wild

Back