• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

putin' golden orb on GeForce2 MX HOW??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoopa_man

I have seen a quite a few setups now where people have taken off the stock cooler on the GeForce2 and slapped on a Golden Orb. Form what I have read it has proven to be a worthwhile mod. My question is; what is the best way to get the old stock heat sink off without damaging the gpu and second, what can I use to attach the Golden Orb to the gpu / video card ? It’s a big heat sink and fan setup and I’m not sure if just some artic silver epoxy will hold that beast in place. If anyone has ideas please let me know as this is a mod I want to make without damaging my beloved video card.

To remove the old heatsink if it's epoxied on, some folks had luck by bagging the card and freezing it for a little while (15-30 minutes). Then snapping off the heatsink with a quick twisting motion (don't forget to remove the retaining pins first). The freezing is supposed to make the epoxy more brittle and allow the bond to be broken easier.

There really isn't that much benefit in overclocking the MX core, because it's the memories that are the bottleneck. I suggest you use the original HS(F) as ramsinks.

i wish i had known about being able to use a gold orb before i bought the "blorb". i took the old stock hsf (which to this day i am still disgusted with the mere idea of putting it on a geforce2gts,it wasnt the regular one either, it was something that looked like the chipset cooler on my mobo, cept crappier) from my gcard and put it on my sblive(a little modding of course)!! the my live card got hot, but not anymore!

I've heard good things about the Blue Orb for the chipset, I've never heard of anyone putting the Golden Orb on there, but would it really make that much of a difference? Either way it sounds like a interesting mod!

Thanks for all your feedback. The website that shows you doing this mod helped a lot. I'm going to give it a try and I'll post pics and all that mombo jumbo as soon as I get the time. Thanks again for your input.

on my MX i put the pentium 3 heatsink/fan
4 drops of crazy glue in the corners of the GPU, thermal past on the rest....
AND PRESS THE HEATSINK DOWN HARD ON THE GPU AS IT DRIES
my first try, well... i failed.. I think i was playing some CS, then i heard my heatsink fall off.. i was like OH ****, F*** F*** F***
shut the computer down.. nothing broke :)
But i made sure it was on VERY WELL before i put the heatsink on my MX back in my case... Also did the same thing with my ram, but used a pentium heatsink/fan (didnt all off)

jay (May 29, 2001 03:08 p.m.):
on my MX i put the pentium 3 heatsink/fan
4 drops of crazy glue in the corners of the GPU, thermal past on the rest....
AND PRESS THE HEATSINK DOWN HARD ON THE GPU AS IT DRIES
my first try, well... i failed.. I think i was playing some CS, then i heard my heatsink fall off.. i was like OH ****, F*** F*** F***
shut the computer down.. nothing broke :)
But i made sure it was on VERY WELL before i put the heatsink on my MX back in my case... Also did the same thing with my ram, but used a pentium heatsink/fan (didnt all off)

That's cool. This is the kind of feedback i'm looking for.
Have you noticed any performance changes with the new cooling? From what I have heard so far it is just as beneficial to add heatsink to the ram as it is to beef up the heatsink/fan combo on the GPU.
I am looking for stability and cooler temps, not so much as to over clock the chip but to get it to a happier temp. Since temps directly affect the life of the chip I like to keep things nice and cold.
So, my question is, have you noticed any kind of change in performance of the chip since you made the changes. Is it a worth while project? Or just another excuse for me to wake up the neighbors with my dremel tool grinding away on some piece of aluminum?

Should've possibly added my mods to my GF2MX. Okay, here comes.
I removed the original HS from the GPU and cut it in half. Then some superglue on the corners of the ram-chips and AS2 on the rest. Stuck it there and it stays. Got about 10MHz extra for the RAM and there isn't any corruption on the screen anymore, when above 200MHz. There's also a 50x50x10mm fan on it.
I used the same technique for the GPU, with a Titan variant of the blorb. Don't know if there's any difference with the smoothness/flatness of the HSF, but it gave me those extra 5MHz, which I while ago thought I lost.

The main thing for me in this is that the whole card is blue. Except the ramfan.

learning to overclock,can anyone help !!

i have a pIII 1000G 133MHZ ABIT SA6R.motherboard.
can anyone tell me how 2 overclock it please,as im a little new 2 overclocking. i have a biger fan, and a case fan.please help
thanks

well now i can get more core to the max coolbit will allow me to (220)
and i can also get my ram to the max, 210

i have a prog you may want, it will test any geforce (tnt?) cards ram in dos
and will tell you the fastest possible speed you can run it at without getting any errors...
my ram will do 214Mhz (not bad for 166) without any errors...
i can run the ram at 220 and it still works but..
that prog says i get some bad rights to the ram at that speed so...

If you dont want to kill your ram, this is a good prog, only 7KB
e-mail me (or icq) and i'll send it, just tell me that you want that prog (as i have lots of goodies) and i will send it...

And about the core, no point in rasing it any more as the RAM is the bottle neck in the MX like the rest of the geforce cards...
so why kill your GPU ?

hope that helps

Well as "Blur" puts it so well WHoooooo

It's been done and it's all thanks to your help. Right now my GeForce2 MX is running at 200/200 not too bad I guess. It starts to get flaky if I up the RAM to 210 I can go farther with the gpu but it's not in my best interests at this time. Other things to concur. I will say this, I'm got some raised eyebrows when my friends saw that rocket ship on my vid. card Mean looking thing. The form really helped. Thank You so much. All of your suggestions led me to a successfull mod.

I would post pics but they came out real bad. I think it's time to retire the 35mm camara and pickup a good digital camera.

For those who noticed I wasn't going to OC at first but you know what happens when you get the itch...LOL...happens to the best of us. I'm happy so thanks again.

Flacky RAM eh?

like i said i still have a prog that will test it for you, and with the results, you will know what is the best speed you should run your ram at

Back