• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

putting AS3 goop over the hole on a p4 1.6a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rkfl

can i smear as3 all over the top of my p4, including the hole? well, i mean i wouldn't try to ram goop into the hole or anything but for now i've just put goop on the middle top of the p4 package and i think i'd get better performance if i spread the goop more over the whole top of the package.

thanks

It is my understanding the the hole is there to release gas
doing manfacture. It has no purpose to the end user.
Therefore, if you get some as3 over or in the hole there
will not be a problem.

rkfl said:
can i smear as3 all over the top of my p4, including the hole? well, i mean i wouldn't try to ram goop into the hole or anything but for now i've just put goop on the middle top of the p4 package and i think i'd get better performance if i spread the goop more over the whole top of the package.

thanks

I just re-read your post. You are talking about putting
as3 only on the IHS...the silvery part, right? You don't
want it all over the CPU. Had to make sure. :D

ha..yeah i meant as3 all over the heat spreader thingy. actually the reason i ask is that i'm sorta disappointed in my alpha 8942 w/ 80cfm delta fan coz it isn't cooling as well as i hoped. i'm getting 37C idle and 47C load (Sisoft sandra) as read off my motherboard utility. and that's not too far from what the stock intel cooler did. bummer. maybe more as3 will be the solution...

anyway thanks everyone for the advice

rkfl said:
ha..yeah i meant as3 all over the heat spreader thingy. actually the reason i ask is that i'm sorta disappointed in my alpha 8942 w/ 80cfm delta fan coz it isn't cooling as well as i hoped. i'm getting 37C idle and 47C load (Sisoft sandra) as read off my motherboard utility. and that's not too far from what the stock intel cooler did. bummer. maybe more as3 will be the solution...

anyway thanks everyone for the advice

More is not better. The AS3 should be in a very thin layer.
Read the lapping instructions on the front page, too.

heyyyyy that is a cool link!

but that page recommends two kinds of cleaners for the cpu and the heat sink base.... i can understand the logic coz of the different materials.

but my heat sink vendor recommended Ronsonol (i.e. the lighter fluid) and my research on the web shows that a lot of people recommend Ronsonol as a grease cleaner and because it won't melt plastic.

so do you figure using Ronsonol for both the cpu and the heat sink will be alright? i suppose this is sort of a nit picky question but it was such a pain putting that alpha on that i don't want to repeat it more than once ;)

thanks again for all the advice

not too sure about ronsonol on the CPU...I generally use Rubbing Alcohol and Q-tips to clean both surfaces but we also use this stuff at work called Tronic Kleen that is really good stuff. But we get it from this little specialty electronic parts shop so I'm not sure how readily available it is to most people.

But heck I've even used gasoline to clean a CPU before but I wouldn't recommend it.

Back