• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting together a P4 rig. What do I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClarkKent

I'm putting a computer together for my Sister and I need to know what to get her. She doesn't need all the bells and whistles so I'm not sure what to tell her. So here I am asking for some advice. I'm an amd man myself so maybe it could go that way but she said intel. So I was thinking P$ 2.8E. If that is the wront route tell me, if not what should I team it up with? My Intel chipset knowledge is horrable. SFF would be a bonus. Thanks in advance guys.

tjr1973

Go with a Northwood since the Prescotts run at thermonuclear temps. If she doesn't need all the bells and whistles, I'd go with an Abit or Intel 865 Motherboard using any SATA setup and a 9800 Pro. Should be able to build that system pretty cheap and it would run decent to.

tylerhskate

Nw is faster than the prescott, runs cooler, so theres no question there. I also saw a deal for a 9800 pro for 170 bucks, that is if you wanna get her that big of a graphics card..ram just get 2x512mb sticks of geil pc3200 from newegg for 83 a piece, it ocs to 220fsb~ if you ever want to overclock it. Not really familiar with the intel mobos but the ic7-g is good

Thanatos_2005

I asked this same question a few days back :p

stick with the 2.8 C, not the E for aforementioned reasons.

as for mobo, I've learned you can't go wrong with Asus. Try a mobo such as the one I'm getting, the P4P800- that model also has a huge variety of submodels as well, such as the P4P800-SE, etc. etc.

hope this helps

abitavenger

Don't go with the 9800pro unless she's doing serious gaming because if not its a waste of money. If all she does is surf, email, and chat, you could easily get away with a Geforce 4 MX440, 39 bucks on newegg. About the intel mobo, I have a Abit IC7 and it runs great. Also if your lookin to save money you could go with the IS7-E, it just has the older chipset.

OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

what would be her best option (graphics card) for porting to a TV for movies and surfing the web? Will I need to get an All-In-Wonder and if so how high of a model should it be?

Mr.Guvernment

^^ As long as the card has S-video out - which almost all newer cards do then that will be fine - you cna get s-video to RCA adapters if her tv does nt have s-vdieo

G4mx cards do great - i have a few and the tv output is more then good enough.

OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

but do the all in wonders not do something special when they port out to TV's? Simular to what Windows media center and snapstream do?

Sentential

Contributing Member
ClarkKent said:
but do the all in wonders not do something special when they port out to TV's? Simular to what Windows media center and snapstream do?

The AIW have a TV / raw cable *input*.....so that you can watch TV on your PC.

OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Sorry i didn't mean watching TV on her computer. I meant watching her computer on a TV. guess what I'm asking is, do the All in wonders come with software that make using a computer on a TV easier on the eyes? and if so what versions of the card do?

If I bought her a Celeron would that be bad? I don't think she will need any more computing power than that. She will just be surfing and watching Tv and Movies.

abitavenger

No no no no no, All in wonder's are made so you can watch and record tv on your computer. If you buy a video card with S-Video out, then you can watch whats on your monitor, on a tv. And thats all you need :). About a celeron, I'd reccomend against that idea, just get her a P4 so it will last, or try talking her into AMD to save some money.

Mr.Guvernment

Yes all in wonder's do have s-video out - but the quality is all dependant on your TV, not so much the video card - and unless she gets a HD TV then she wont be able to read text for crap - the only thing you can really do with anything on your computer and having a TV as a monitor is watch movies or play certain video games at low resolution.

shard

yeah, get here a asus board, and then get a nice fancy case(aka aspire cases) then 512mb ram, 2.8c, preshots are what you use to cook your dinner with, not to compute with, then get her a 9600AIW, it will do fine! and if she wants to listen to music on here computer then get the logitech x-220's they are a realy good, affordable speaker system, in fact i am listening to them right now as i type this!
then get here a 80gb sata drive, and a nice fast burner, thats about it!

OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

I convinced her to go with AMD and gave her an old ASUS AMD board I had. I'm going to get her a 2500+ and PC3200 ram (cause the price is just as good as PC2700). It will be cheaper for her this way and I like AMD better anyway. Thanks for all the help. While I didn't get her an Intel system I still learned a lot thanks every one.

OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

When she asked me to put a case together for her, I thought it was going to be easy. Then she told me she wanted Intel and I realized she wanted something completely different out of a computer than I did. So it became a much harder task for me. In the end I'm glad I convinced her to go with AMD because it saved her money and it will be a great machine for her.

Mr. Chambers

ClarkKent said:
When she asked me to put a case together for her, I thought it was going to be easy. Then she told me she wanted Intel and I realized she wanted something completely different out of a computer than I did. So it became a much harder task for me. In the end I'm glad I convinced her to go with AMD because it saved her money and it will be a great machine for her.

You said it. When you first posted this, I was going to mention something about going AMD - but I usually don't because it can really rub some people the wrong way when they come in asking one thing, and everyone else comes in telling them to get another - and understandably so.

She'll be more than happy with an AMD system, especially since it costs less, and she won't be having to buy a motherboard.