• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM fan mod problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

System5

Hello
i bought a 1.74 amp delta fan and my motherboard supports 1 amp only, so i removed the red and black wires and connected it to the molex and the yellow and blue wires to the motherboard's system fan header, the fan works and i can see the fan's speed but can't control it's speed, neither through bios or fan control software, i thought the fan is bad, so i tried another pwm fan that is less than 1 amp using the same method and it did the same thing, so i connected that fan directly to the motherboard and pwm worked fine, if i disconnect the red and black wires from the fan header pwm doesn't work, anyone knows why this is happening?my mb is H81M-S2PV rev. 1.0

So PWM modulates how often a pulse of power is sent to your fan. E.G.
Slow = |____|____|____|____|____|
faster = |___|___|___|___|___|___|
Faster yet = |__|__|__|__|__|__|__|
Fastest = |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
Plaid = ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Note: always slow down first when coming out of plaid.

Each pipe "|" would be a pulse of electric with each underscore "_" being a pause.

This is how the speed is regulated. You connected the monitor but removed the ability to control. I think that the black wire would be sent a faster or slower pulse of DC power based on settings and the sensor. You aren't using that black wire so no change is made.

Note: Why in the heck would you want a delta fan on your system? Aren't they like loud as all get out? I would go with a large 120/140mm fan spinning slower and more silent. But that's me and my usage needs.

The new Phanteks t30-120 is close and controllable without the current needs of a Delta. It is not a Delta though

You should look at getting a PWM hub with external power input. Example:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=526

I use one of these to power 8 PWM fans using a single PWM header. (my 360mm radiator uses 6 fans just on it's own). It gets power from a SATA connector, but replicates the power output to each fan connector based on what it gets from the PWM input. I don't run any individual fans that consume that much current, but all my fans combined almost certainly consume more than that. (most are in the 0.30a - 0.60a range). The hub claims to be able to support up to 4.5A total, even on a single port, so it should be able to do 1.74a.

I'd still be somewhat wary though. About 10 years ago I ran a 120mm Delta fan in my computer using a manual fan controller (external knobs). The fan was model FFB1212EH, also 1.74A, and probably similar to the one you are trying to use, but only 3-pin. It ended up burning up that channel on my manual fan controller and that's when I stopped using it.

So PWM modulates how often a pulse of power is sent to your fan. E.G.
Slow = |____|____|____|____|____|
faster = |___|___|___|___|___|___|
Faster yet = |__|__|__|__|__|__|__|
Fastest = |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
Plaid = ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Note: always slow down first when coming out of plaid.

Each pipe "|" would be a pulse of electric with each underscore "_" being a pause.

This is how the speed is regulated. You connected the monitor but removed the ability to control. I think that the black wire would be sent a faster or slower pulse of DC power based on settings and the sensor. You aren't using that black wire so no change is made.

Note: Why in the heck would you want a delta fan on your system? Aren't they like loud as all get out? I would go with a large 120/140mm fan spinning slower and more silent. But that's me and my usage needs.

what if i connect the black, yellow and blue wires to the system fan header and the red wire to the molex, will the fan work without any damage to the motherbord?

Edit1: i tried it and it didn't work, fan is at full speed and no control

Edit2: thanks everyone, i found out the cause of this issue, it's the motherboard's system header, pin 2 is responsible for +12v and speed control, i can't use that pin because of the fan's high amperage, that's why i can't control the fan, but on the cpu header pin 4 is speed control, i didn't expect that the headers are different,

Back