• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q-Tec... Are they as crap as they are cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hello,

I'm after a 500W+ PSU.

I see a Q-Tec 550W on overclocker.co.uk for like £25.

Are they any good or are they are crap as they are cheap?

Sturm

In a word YES they are crap, the rails are unstable and have plenty of fulctuation.
The wattage ratings given are not for steady continual use but are for max possible.
You will get better performance from a good 350w.
Sure these things are better than the generics that come with cheap cases, but only just.
In essence you get what you pay for.

Mr.Radar

PSU makers can put whatever they want on the side of a PSU. Better indicators of quality are brand name, weight, and price. Q-Tec is known to make crap products, I've never seen this PSU or read a review of it, but I'd guess it's pretty light (the heavier the better as that means more/bigger components were used), and I'm also guessing that it's priced way under other 550 watt PSUs from good brand names like Fortron or Antec. Instead of one of those get a Fortron or a Sparkle 350 if you're on a budget, or get the Fortron or Sparkle 530 if you can. The FSP530's are some of the best PSUs on the market today. The Antec TruePower 550 is good, though it's a bit weaker than the Fortron/Sparkle 530.

_slh_

You all say theyre crap, they may well be, but Ive been running the rig in my sig for over 2 years on one with no problems at all, so they cant be that bad.

OP
Quattro

Quattro

Oh...
I've got a Jeantech 400W which I have to say is very good and stable.

I'm just want to put my PSU in my second rig and get a better one for myself.

I don't really want to spend more than £60 - £80.

Whats my best bet?

Mr.Radar

Get the one with the 80mm fan instead. You'll get much more power out of it (Fortron/Sparkle under rates their PSUs however the underratedness varies from PSU to PSU, also 120mm fan PSUs can't go over 430 watts on their power output due to space limitations which 80mm fan PSUs can do much more).

larrymoencurly

This 550W Q-tec looks about as heavy as some 200W PSUs:

7.jpg

larrymoencurly

Here's a 420W Enermax:

Enermax_Noisetaker_08.jpg

I think it looks much like an Antec TruePower of comparable power rating.

My 350W Enermax has a transformer that's very slightly smaller than those found in my 300W PSUs from Antec, Raidmax, and MaxPower/Soyo and significantly smaller than those in my 300W Delta and 300W and 350W Fortrons.