• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 with Fury HyperX 1333mhz DDR3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam Stripy

Hi, I have a bit of a problem and I am not sure if what I am trying to is possible with my setup or I am just doing my settings wrong. I have an Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz on the ASRock G41C-VS, the problem I have is I have purchased the Fury HyperX 1333mhz DDR3 8gb (2x4gb) Memory Kit which I was told by Overclockers that it 'should' be OK for my board. As far as I can see in the manual and by reading on these forums this should be possible if i increase the FSB in bios and move the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 as stated in the motherboard manual if using 1333mhz DDR3? I have tried setting the CPU mhz to 333x9 and moving the jumper to pins 2-3 but the computer stats up but has nothing on screen and I have to put the old RAM back in to get anything on the screen. Can someone explain where I am going wrong here? Am I simply trying to do something that will not work or am I doing it wrong? RAM is http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX313C9FK2_8.pdf and motherboard manual is http://download.asrock.com/manual/G41C-VS.pdf this is a possible combination with the Q6600 with OC right? or am I completely wrong and have the wrong sticks for this? Thanks in advance.

Clear the CMOS with the jumper and pins on the motherboard. Make sure before you move the jumper to the clear position you unplug the PSU from t he wall and hit the case power button to drain the capacitors. Then move the jumper to clear for 30 seconds. Then move the jumper back to default position before restoring power.

The FSB speed on your CPU is 1066 mhz. http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41c-vs/#CPU. You likely will not be able to run the RAM at the full 1333 mhz with that CPU.

Last edited:
Sorry if it was unclear but I am not referring to the CMOS jumper, I am referring to the FSB jumper on this motherboard, it says to use 1333 DDR3 to put the FSB jumper on pins 2-3 from pins 1-2 which I have done, it is more the settings I am having a query on. I have heard that people have got 1333 DDR3 to work with this processor I am just not sure what I am doing wrong, I understand the RAM might not be at its full 1333mhz but how do I setup the bios so that it will even see it to begin with as what I thought would work does not. It is currently using 4GB 800mhz DDR3 so anything out of this 8GB DDR3 1333 even at not full performance has got to be better than what it has at the minute.

That jumper if I'm not mistaken is for a CPU with 1333 FSB in conjunction with 1333 memory. The Q6660 is a 1066 FSB. That's likely why the jumper itself is causing problems. You should be able to get the ram to operating frequency with the jumper in default position

I am not sure, as far as I can see in BIOS and the motherboard manual it says if the RAM is 1333mhz then move the jumper, I have tried just putting the RAM in and seeing what happens but it is just a black screen, it is the settings for the CPU to get the BIOS to see the RAM i am having trouble with, I am assuming it has to be overclocked to even be able to use the RAM, it is just those settings that are puzzling me at the minute.

This is what I read in the manual
If you adopt FSB1333-CPU and DDR3 1333 memory module on this motherboard, you need to adjust the jumper. Please short pin2, pin3 for FSB1 jumper. Otherwise, the CPU and memory module may not work properly on this motherboard.

You could try the electrical tape mod and see if that works. I did that a lot on those old q6600's and motherboards that didn't support oc to make the system think the q6600 was actually a 1333 fsb Cpu. It would make it run at 3ghz, maybe that will also get the memory to run at 1333?

I have been given an 'Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850' processor which has an FSB of 1333mhz so I am using this instead, am I right in thinking this should now run the Fury HyperX 1333mhz DDR3 (2x4GB)? because I am still having issues getting it to show anything on screen, I have tried shifting the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 as the RAM and processor are now 1333mhz but still just get a standby light on monitor, computer is running fine whilst the monitor light is on standby. Is there a setting I have to do before putting in the DDR3 1333 besides the jumper? I have tried resetting the bios/removing the battery but I am still getting a black screen, the only way to get it to show anything on screen is to put the old ram back in.

I have been given an 'Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850' processor which has an FSB of 1333mhz so I am using this instead, am I right in thinking this should now run the Fury HyperX 1333mhz DDR3 (2x4GB)? because I am still having issues getting it to show anything on screen, I have tried shifting the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 as the RAM and processor are now 1333mhz but still just get a standby light on monitor, computer is running fine whilst the monitor light is on standby. Is there a setting I have to do before putting in the DDR3 1333 besides the jumper? I have tried resetting the bios/removing the battery but I am still getting a black screen, the only way to get it to show anything on screen is to put the old ram back in.

IIRC that platform did not like a memory density over 2gb per stick. I could be mistaken though.

Motherboard manual says 8GB capacity and it has 2 DDR3 slots and 2 DDR2 slots and you cannot mix so must allow 4GB sticks.

Back