• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 one core temp not fluctuating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mrkwhlr2

I have a Q9550 on a EVGA790i Ultra at stock settings

Using coretemp, my temps are 34, 34, 42, 34

The core that is at 42 degrees hardly ever changes....should I be concerned. The core seems to have activity. When stressing the cpu a bit it jumped up a degree, but never seems to drop back below 42. I have used a couple of different programs....all read the same temps.

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance....

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Like Boulard said, sort of, its likely a stuck temperature sensor. If you use P95 or Linx (any program that puts stress on CPU) you will likely see that the temp will go UP from 42C but not below it.

Realtemp has a sensor testing program if you want to run it, but I assure you, its a stuck sensor. Nothing you can do about it. But dont worry, idle temps mean nothing, though I know its nice to see.

Dougshell

I dont mean to thread jack, but could this possibly help me sort out my messed up sensors on my i5. (showing WAY to low at idle +speedstep)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Completely different things really Doug. His sensor is stuck high (and will go up when it gets past that point). Your is just displaying low. There is no fix for either of you, but you both can compensate for it in a temp program like Realtemp.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mrkwhlr2

Ok, thanks for the replies fellas.

I was thinking that one core was not working, but I could see activity.

I have only recently put this thing together. I was running AMD6400+, now switched over to intel.

I want to do a very minor overclock to 3-3.2ghz.

I have the following:
EVGA790i Ultra
Q9550 w/e0 with a Coolermaster V8 cooler idle approx 31C
(2) x evga8800gtx in sli
8gb ocz DDR3 1333 mhz at 7/7/7/20/1T at 1.65v
CoolerMaster CM stacker with (5) 120mm and (1) 80MM
XFI Fatality sound