• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad 16-core interlagos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Thinking about dumping a couple of my sr2 rigs and trying a quad 2.2ghz 16 core interlagos server. Anyone care to wager what that might be capable of?

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Not too impressive when im getting close to that with an overclocked sr2 running dual hexa cores pulling about 600 watts.

ChasR

Still true after the switch to 16 cores for BA?

12 Core MCs have 12 FPUs, 16 core Interlagos has 8. It's not really surprising that MCs outperform Interlagos, though it is disappointing, and there is nothing about the change of the assignment criteria to 16 cores minimum that would affect that.

I assume at some point the influenza study will end and some different projects will make it to BA. I don't see a reason that would affect the relative performance. Interlagos is a Bulldozer after all.

Last edited:

torin3

Not too impressive when im getting close to that with an overclocked sr2 running dual hexa cores pulling about 600 watts.

Is that 2 SR2s running close to 400K ppd, or one? I've got one, and I'm only getting about 208K ppd from it.

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Is that 2 SR2s running close to 400K ppd, or one? I've got one, and I'm only getting about 208K ppd from it.
Yes sorry for the confusion - im thinking about replacing two sr2s that combined produce about 424,000ppd pulling 580 watts each. Not bad really when you consider thats comparing 24 cores to 48 with a 4p mc rig.

torin3

Yes sorry for the confusion - im thinking about replacing two sr2s that combined produce about 424,000ppd pulling 580 watts each. Not bad really when you consider thats comparing 24 cores to 48 with a 4p mc rig.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking about going for a 4p rig soon myself. When I can afford new hardware. Probably around June. :cry:

ChasR

Still true after the switch to 16 cores for BA?

I've rethought my response on this issue. PG hasn't said they were going to change the final deadlines, but they haven't said they aren't going to either. THe point system isn't going to change, but changing the final deadline or adjusting the k-factor can be done, without changing the point system. As the QRB is presently calculated, any shortening of the final deadline will decrease the ppd. The relative performance of MC and Interlagos won't change, but the rush to adopt 4P systems might be premature.

Edit:
This much we know:
Dr. Pande said:
However, we want to emphasize that the BA program is experimental and that donors should expect changes in the future, potentially without a lot of notice (although we will try our best to give as much notice as we can). In particular, as hardware evolves, it is expected that we will need to change the nature of the BA WUs again in the future.

No whining is allowed, if after reading the above, you go out and spend $4000+ on a 4P system only to find the ppd cut in half a few days or months later.

Last edited:

ChasR

You should be able to squeeze more out of it. Have you tried "The Kraken"? It is an affinity wrapper by tear. It is said to increase ppd significantly.

Last edited: