• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad amd XP machines.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DayUSeX

I was wondering if there were any QUAD MP boards out there. I have been greatly impressed with my dual 1700+ machine and looking to make that my main machine till i decide to go 64bit. It smokes my 2100+ when max is going and looking for maybe a quad machine for pure rendering. thnx

CCW

Xtreme refugee
You could have an internal cluster but there isnt a single motherboard out that has support for 4 Athlon Processors. An internal cluster would involve you putting two motherboards together and network the processors and sharing out the load between them. Windows .NET can support up to 8 processors in an internal cluster. You could also look into clusters such as the Beowulf Project (Google it.)

Craig

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Stedeman said:
Yummy, Beowulf Project :drool:

I was going to give it ago once. Basically, its where you have multiple systems ideally all running at the same speed with the same hardware and you have a server that sends the data out to each and they process it and send it back so they all work together. Many of the worlds super computers are clusters, either internal or external.

Craig

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

i was thinking of a cluster, does anyone have any information on a server. Most i have ever done that is "cluster" like is do a net render in MAX. Thnx as this sounds interesting.

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Information on a server as in one to buy? For a quad processor set-up you'll have to look to Intel or you could buy Dual-Xeons with hyperthreading giving you two hyperthreaded processors

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

i was talking about getting two 2x1700+ machines and getting an old 600mhz machine to be the server to distrubte the render workoad.

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Ideally, the server needs to be faster than the machines that make up the cluster.

Type Beowulf Cluster into Google, there are many guides available.

Craig

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

thnx doing some google (lol i dont need alink =P) i realised beowulf is cool but isnt for me. Its way easier to do net render and will probably give me the same results. Thnx newayz.

Quailane

Ya, looking at beowulf, it would cost a little mula I don't have, and I couldn't use it for my games. It would be cool to get a multithreaded [email protected] client to go on there. It'd be fun to just watch the WU's fly out of there.

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

Captain Newbie said:
Most games aren't SMP-aware anyway. One of few is anything based on Q3, to my knowledge.

yes we have established that many times already. ALl my SMP machines are for rendering, but in a pinch i would liek for them to be able to handle games, say when i have friends over O.K.

Papsomax

Ok guys help me with this. I just set up a mandrake Linux 9.2 ProSuite Server at home (XP2200+ (13.5.141), 2x120 Sata Raid 1, 512mb PC2700). I am a newbie to Linux so I am self teaching myself all this. The server is on my home network [Linksys broadband router(cable) and 2 switches and one print server]. The pc's on this lan are: [email protected], the 2200 server, P4 1.7, a G3 333, a PII 333 and a P233. A dually is in the works but a month or so down the road. Is there a link how how to set them up as an internal cluster?

Also, each pc is doing it's own folding as a stand alone. Will I get more wu/time frame if these are configured as an internal cluster?

Thanks for helping this fledgling newbie.

Fold for a cure! Hooah!

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
Papsomax said:
Ok guys help me with this. I just set up a mandrake Linux 9.2 ProSuite Server at home (XP2200+ (13.5.141), 2x120 Sata Raid 1, 512mb PC2700). I am a newbie to Linux so I am self teaching myself all this. The server is on my home network [Linksys broadband router(cable) and 2 switches and one print server]. The pc's on this lan are: [email protected], the 2200 server, P4 1.7, a G3 333, a PII 333 and a P233. A dually is in the works but a month or so down the road. Is there a link how how to set them up as an internal cluster?

Also, each pc is doing it's own folding as a stand alone. Will I get more wu/time frame if these are configured as an internal cluster?

Fold for a cure! Hooah!

I think you would do better (finding an answer) if you post a new thread in the SMP or other operating systems categories
PS sorry but I don't know the answer you need.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Papsomax said:

Fold for a cure! Hooah!

You should probably post this question in the Alternative Operating Systems forum. Lots of Linux gurus, in there.

disk11

The best way to go for a gaming dualie is to get a DPI533, a couple 533 fsb Xeons, quality pc3200, EPS power supply (I think, check the Iwill site), and a high end ATI or Nvidia card and clock the crap out of it.

If you really want an AMD dualie, up the multiplier as high as you can on whatever board appeals to you if you go with an ATI card (they HATE overclocked AGP buses unlike Nvidia cards).

The only options for quads are Xeon MPs and 8xx Opterons.

JDXNC

IF you've got cash to burn you can always go the Quad Opteron path, should be cheaper than a quad Xeon setup.

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

yeah, quad opertons are waaay out of the question, those things are bloody expensive!!!! but still go internal cluster, i belive that would give you better wu/time frame then each comptuer working seperatly, it is the beowulf concept again.

disk11

I couldn't find a quad opteron board via pricewatch, I bet they are OEM only for now (and forever).

I personally think a duron/XP farm running one client per PC would give the best results. It would be interesting to see what effects software load balancing has on performance, SMP or otherwise. I've been under the impression that if you run two intesive tasks at the same time performance would be better if you set them to their own processor.