• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad Processor system possible for under 6K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

I want to build a high end do everything machine.

It will have 2-8GB of ram, a radeon X800XT or 6800UEE, whichever comes out first, a 660W PSU of course, a case,3-4 52X32X52X16 cdrw/dvd drives. and either 2 250GB driver in raid, or 2 74GB raptors.

The quad processors will be used for some serious tasks, such as burning 3-4 cds at once, zipping huge files, encoding dvds, ripping ect, folding, heating my house, acting as a game server, a web server, saving the world, and playing video games all simultaneously.

Is it possible for 6K?

none1

Under $6000? Sure, I guess.

motherboard $1700
$3000 for 4 procs

Just gotta get everything else for under $1300.

But I think two dual machines might give better througput ....

Good luck!

martindemon

none1 said:
Under $6000? Sure, I guess.

motherboard $1700
$3000 for 4 procs

Just gotta get everything else for under $1300.

But I think two dual machines might give better througput ....

Good luck!

I came to the exact same conclusion: the only way i get a quad is if i need a real server. Even if i get 10000000$, i would not buy one for no reason. If i need computing power, i might buy tens of dual CPU systems, but a quad is not efficient just to compute things.

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ nope

2 x Dualies would be best = and in that case wait for Iwill PCIe dual opteron boards to arrive in August i beleive? -

martindemon

While a high end do everything machine is fun, i now tend to build multiple machines to do specific tasks. They are my slaves :) For exemple, i'm building right now used dual CPU Athlon MP machines; will do at least 2 to make a cheap powerful computing network. I also have my Pentium 4 3.2c for games (now with a 9700 pro, waiting for a few months for the price of the x800 XT to go down and for availability to be normal; i surely won't pay 1000$ for a 600$ card right now on ebay...) I might upgrade to 3.6e when prices drop at the end of summer. This is the optimal choice IMO. Minimize cost and maximize efficiency for what i do. Then, my needs are unique and not everyone would need computing nodes for their personal needs...

OP
D

dguy6789

ok thanks, so i should get a dual cpu setup? The PCIe socket 940 comes out in august? When will the opteron 252 be out?

nealric

I would spend 4k on the dual and the remaining 2k on a beowulf cluster.

Get 10 xp2000 procs for about $50/each = 500
Get 10 xp capable mobos for about the same (dont need to be all that great) = $500
10sticks of 256mb ram= $400
Buy a lot of 10 cheapo hard drives on ebay= I bet about $200
Buld a box out of wood for all of em= 100
= 1700+ sundry expenses (guess you would want a gigabit router and NICs)
= massive power

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Why would you ever need to do all that stuff at once? I know this is a fun question to ponder, but really, it's not realistic. A dually would do just fine, but a single CPU machine with enough RAM would probably suit you with most tasks as well.

But if you're really serious about it, there's no way in hell you're going to build something like you're asking about for under $6k and have it be a good system to use for what you want.

@md0Cer

donny_paycheck said:
Why would you ever need to do all that stuff at once? I know this is a fun question to ponder, but really, it's not realistic. A dually would do just fine, but a single CPU machine with enough RAM would probably suit you with most tasks as well.

But if you're really serious about it, there's no way in hell you're going to build something like you're asking about for under $6k and have it be a good system to use for what you want.

I agree, just CPU's and the motherboard will run you around $5000. Think about buying ram now....PSU.....video card if you can get one that fits...case...cd drives...harddrives...heatsinks.... Good Luck to you, but I think a dual CPU system would be more efficient (tasks and money wise). Hell, maybe 2 dual CPU systems.

Nightingale

Quad is a waste of time any money. You would be better off buying a pair of Opterons (250's?), couple raptors, nice graphic card, ,case, 500w psu, and 4g of ram. Then with any extra you could build either another machine for other tasks or build a beowulf cluster for folding and rendering video if your into editing etc.