• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quake 4 wooo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan Derrig

this game is fun! I like it more than FEAR. Half Life 2 and Halo are still better story-wise. How do you like it?

Rattle

I think its sweet, better than doom3, not as good as FEAR but not by much. Beats the crap out of HL2 though and looks sweet... fun too

obsolete

**Possible spoiler**

I just started playing through the SP of it & I think it is really good. My attention was really grabbed when you become a strogg (kina). Definately makes up for the lagtastic MP of the game. (hoping for mods)

Has a story line but not a grab a bag of popcorn story line.......

ninthebin

I think it looks better than fear, has some very impressive looking scenes in it - but I think fear beats it out on just the cinematic gunfights that happen every 5 minutes :)

OP
D

Dan Derrig

Rattle said:
I think its sweet, better than doom3, not as good as FEAR but not by much. Beats the crap out of HL2 though and looks sweet... fun too
Yay I just beat it!
Anyone else notice how cheap the background and sky are? They could have used something like a skybox. That would have really made it look sweet.

The AI in HL2 and FEAR really beat the AI in here - these Strogg just come straight at you 3/4 of the time. I guess you could explain it by the fact that they are controlled by brain implants but it would be nicer if they were smarter.

On the plus side, I have a GeForce 6600 and I get pretty good framerates - 25-50fps at 1024x768 4xAA and everything else turned up. FEAR really needs a lot of power, and this gets by on less. I could never run these settings in FEAR with good framerates.

The gameplay was great too - not FEAR but definitely beats HL2 and Halo - Strogg jumping at you from different sides is much better than Combine standing and firing or Grunts running away. It's also fun to be able to hold every single weapon at once, like Half Life series. In FEAR I had to keep choosing between the cannon and rocket launcher, or particle gun and shotgun. Why not carry em all? lol

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Hey, I am D/L the Demo right now. Anybody tell me if the Demo is a Good representation of the full game? :eh?:

Thanks in advance

Arkangyl

Quake 4 was far more fun than I thought it'd be. This is IMO but when I play shooters I don't really like to think to much, pure action is where it's at. All the story in F.E.A.R. is sweet when I'm in the mood for a movie but nothing good is on. When I want to game Q4 is the ****z

and on a side note, Raven is AWESOME for games like that

RacerX27

Registered
dfonda said:
Hey, I am D/L the Demo right now. Anybody tell me if the Demo is a Good representation of the full game? :eh?:

Thanks in advance

The demo was good enough I HAD to go buy the game right after the demo ended.

IMHO

:)

Killaapp

I have been waiting for a fps with multiplayer like Q4 for a looong time now. MP is amazing, fast, and just like Q3 with better graphics.

Rottys-R-Us

Jester
Way KEWL game and graphics.

Now my life is lost in WOW, LOL.

1.jpg

fuzzba11

Killaapp said:
Wow, that looks pretty, is the single player as fun as the MP? Maybe I should give it a try sometime.
Definitely, single player was better than Quake 2 and Doom 3, and once it gets modded, multiplayer will be awesome (rocket arena 4!).

triga

Registered
I have just started playing (I'm on the mounted gun on back of truck level) and I have to say that I am really enjoying the game. The graphics/textures/animation are all great and run far better than FEAR. Gameplay is fun and fast, even though the AI stinks. I have to say I found FEAR a bit more exciting gameplay wise and story wise but Q4 is still rockin so far.

After playing FEAR tho, I feel the urge to go into "bullet-time" during firefights while playing Q4. I'm still in the habit of wanting to slow the game down when enemies appear.

FastRedPonyCar

I loved it. Pretty decent story and voice acting. Better than Doom 3 by a long shot IMO but nothing NEAR HL2. The graphics are better in Q4. You don't have to use the flashlight 24/7 like you did in doom 3. Everything for the most part is bright and you do a lot of outside fighting and the models look incredible. I liked the return of some classic quake 1 weapons as well as some from quake 2 and the return of most of the orginal quake 2 strogg baddies. The bosses were a real sight to behold also.

The game isn't nearly as scary as doom was but MUCH gorier. There are some flat out NASTY scenes in Q4. If you've got a weak stomach, this might not be your game.

Check out the badass warp effect that the railgun trail produces! (click to make big)
tn_shot00101.jpg