• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quality 400W+ PSU for $100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calavera

I was looking into Enermax PSU's, but apparently, all you're doing is paying for the name, and not quality. :p

So I figure I look into others. I'm looking for a PSU that's at least 400W and is really quiet. But quality comes before decibels.

So can anyone recommend me a 400w+ psu for around $100?
Sparkle, Antec...etc.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Sparkle

The 350W (rated) Spakle attains a total max output of 450W. I've never tried the 400W model, but I'm sure it has similar overhead in relationship to the conservative ratting. I use the 350W model with a quieter 80mm fan fitted to lower the noise output. They come with a .30A NMB fan that is somewhat noisy, mine is perfectly happy with a .15A 80mm fan fitted. If I where testing the unit's actual 450W output I would leave the NMB in there.

Dark Disciple

I usually get antec PS's, but I bought an Allied 400w at newegg for like $30.00 a few weeks ago for a cheap build/sell pc and I really liked it. I tested every conns output and all were in spec and it didn't heat up like other cheap PS's I have encountered before. And it was cheap !

Tipycol

Directron.com has the Antec True Power 550W for $100 + $9 for shipping (I think it's still $9). If that is too much, newegg.com has the True Power 430W for $78 + $7.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Allied=Deer

Allied is the new name for the infamous DEER power supplies. These units blow up with alarming frequency, with caps expiring due to overload. I have seen them catch fire and damage components hooked to them. I have replaced 10-15 of these units in the last 6 months.

The 300W sparkle is only $27 dollars from newegg, and is much stronger than a 400W allied, or any other $30 power supply.

OP
Calavera

Calavera

So, a sparkle 350W is actually enough for me?

I'm going to buy either a p4 2.53 or 2.66 c1 stepping with asus p4pe mainboard.

As I said, quality is first, but noise is also very important to me.

Any specific models I should look into? I do not want to buy a generic PSU.

larva

Inactive Moderator
It's enough for me

And with 450W actual tested output it's enough for about anybody else as well. There is a 400W model but I don't know why a person would need it. But it exists if you feel it is mandated. The noise of the 350W model is noticeable, but you can fit any standard 80mm fan if you wish to lower the noise output. My unit cools fine with a fan half the speed of the stocker, mainly due to the fact that it is just loafing running my system.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...tory=1389&catalog=58&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

The 350W sparkle matches the 431W Enermax in output, so it is not enough to look at the total output rating. Some manufacturers 400W models would not be enough for your plans, but the 350W sparkle would be.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
I have been thinking about trying one of the new Vantec PSU's. The reviews I have read were all positive. You might want to look at that. I also recommend the 400w compusa PSU. It is quality built with plenty of connectors and stable 5v and 12v readings at 100% load.

nealric

the 430w ttgi psus that directron is selling for 50 bucks are really nice. Its quiet, and runs:
2hd
2cd
3pci
water pump
xp1600 at 2.1v
without any voltages dropping at all. This stuff caused a 300w to bite the dust.

TRANCER24

Re: Allied=Deer

larva said:
Allied is the new name for the infamous DEER power supplies. These units blow up with alarming frequency, with caps expiring due to overload. I have seen them catch fire and damage components hooked to them. I have replaced 10-15 of these units in the last 6 months.

The 300W sparkle is only $27 dollars from newegg, and is much stronger than a 400W allied, or any other $30 power supply.

Oh man your not kidding about Deer power supplies they are junk i had one smoke a whole room out. Deer = fireworks for the fourth of july.

wildfrogman

I think one reason the deer~ etc cheap psu's smoke is they dont have a overload regulator....or atleast one that works anyways. The sparkle psu's are very well built and from many people i have talked to ~dealt with they are all very happy with them. I mean when is the last time you heard of a sparkle psu blowing up, frying etc? I have been looking at the 400 watt sparkle for a while and think with the p4 drawing alot of 12v it probably would be a better psu for you in the long run.

larrymoencurly

It is quality built with plenty of connectors and stable 5v and 12v readings at 100% load.
Where's the review of this Vantec PSU?

Except for Tom's, every PSU review I've seen defined "full load" by the lame standard of having the CPU and video working like crazy, but that often draws only 200W.

juliendogg

there's a review of the new vantec stealth on o/c homepage done by joe. looks very nice. check the miscelaneous section of reviews. i'm seriously thinking about this psu. pricey compared to the sparkle but it really does look nice. i saw a couple other reviews of it elsewhere, but the one on o/c.com homepage will be the easiest to find

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
larrymoencurly said:

Where's the review of this Vantec PSU?

Except for Tom's, every PSU review I've seen defined "full load" by the lame standard of having the CPU and video working like crazy, but that often draws only 200W.
Here's a few reviews on the Vantec 520 and Antec 550 TECHZONE , NEOSEEKER , ;) :D

Last edited:

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Antec TruePower

Here too is a nice review of the Antec TP550 at TWEAKTOWN if anyone is interested ! (average price $100) ** ;) :D

Last edited:

JokerF15

You guys should look out for the 'Turbo Link' 420watt Power Supplies.

Actually made by CWT (Makers of Antec PSUs).

The Antec 430watt & the Turbo Link 420 are the EXACT same, spec for spec, and most of the internal components are EXACTLY the same.

Best part, the Turbo Link can be bought for ~40-50 bux Retail

-JokerF15

advanR

How is the 400 watt antec at newegg? I heard it has adjustable potentiometers or something? The hell if I know what theyre for.

Anyways, I think someone really recommended them before. Basically for the same price how do they compare to the sparkle unit.