• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quantum Hard Drives....still building them??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Are they still making "Quantum" hard drives? I know Quantum got bought out by Maxtor, but are they still building drives under the Quantum name, or did Maxtor stop production, and is now just handling warranty claims??

I have a Quantum Fireball lct 10.2GB/5400 rpm drive I'm sending back for RMA. I'm just kind of curious what might get sent back to me... :confused:

I'm thinking that 10 Giggers have been out of production so long, I'll likely get a 20 or perhaps a 30GB replacement, but will it be a Quantum, or a Maxtor??

Just curious if anyone might know....

Cheers! :beer:

B.

no hard drives under the name of "Quantum" anymore, but Maxtor are using Quantum technology in some of their drives. That's why Maxtor are a lot better than they used to be, but still not the best.

You got an RMA for a 10 gigger :eek:

How in the heck did you do that? I have a lct 10 20 gigger that has a burnt out chip and they said that the warrenty expired, and that they wouldn't take back the drive.

Please let me know what you did, 'cause I'd sure like to return this POS for a half way decent hard drive.

Last edited:
moorcito said:
You got an RMA for a 10 gigger :eek:

How in the heck did you do that? I have a lct 10 20 gigger that has a burnt out chip and they said that the warrenty expired, and that they wouldn't take back the drive.

Please let me know what you did, 'cause I'd sure like to return this POS for a half way decent hard drive.

All I did was go to Maxtor's site, and check the numbers on the drive for warranty status. It's under warranty until Jan. 2003.

So, it would depend on the age of your drive, I would imagine. Mine is almost out of warranty...yours might already be.

B.

Back