• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about a defective HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

This is about a 3000gb Toshiba DT01ACA300 drive. I bought it new a while back, and has had little use. I recently moved and I was renting a space and using my laptop instead of my PC, and I had various drives attached externally. I had an incident where the table shook and this drive suffered some damage. I was able to recover any files I needed to from it and HardDiskSentinal reported about 3000 bad sectors. Toast really.

However, now I'm more secure in a different living space and I bought a Tower and installed all of my original PC parts. For kicks I guess, I just attached this drive externally and am running HD Regenerator on it which, of course, has found about 3000 damaged sectors and "repaired" them. This drive has had little use. Many drives go bad over time, and slowly, slowly you get more and more defective sectors. I don't think this will be the case with this drive. Asking for opinions to use this as an external drive and a backup (of a backup) just to test it. What do you think will happen to this drive?

I mean, who knows, really. Id say use it but be prepared to lose everything on it... always have a back up!

Back