• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about bandwidth with wap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i have a question about bandwidth using a wap. i asked this in the folding irc room, but i had to go so i am not sure if anybody responded... anyway, say i have a 802.11g wap (which gives me 54mbps as my max bandwidth) if i have two computers connecting wirelessly to the wap, can they both (in theory) achieve 54 mbps or is that shared between the two?

OP
mbentley

mbentley

DDR-PIII said:
they both should be able to have/use that amount of bandwidth each. :)

ah nifty :) i was trying to see if there would be any advantage of getting a wireless card for each computer or if i should use ics in the remote location if 54mbps was max for all the nics combined...

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure that wireless networks share a frequency range for all of the computers connected to the WAP. So that frequency range is like a hub network, all the bandwidth is shared between everyone connected, everyone broadcasts/recieves on the same frequencies that the WAP is configured on. Unlike a hubbed network (CSMA/CD), it uses CSMA/CA, Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance, so there are very rarely collisions.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Well I wasn't 100% sure about what Isaid, I was just going off of what I knew about wired LAN's, but yoy know more bout networking than me so I'm with you on this one :)

N

nerdlogic

I'd have to agree with su root. Although wireless has it's own properties, it's very similar to wired networks, and therefore, behave a lot like them.

OP
mbentley

mbentley

hehe i figured that su root would come in here and pull out the technical terms :D thanks for all your guy's/girl's help...

it's not like i would be doing a lot of transfers at once or anything, just my curiousity got the best of me ;)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
.. as I said, I'm not 100% sure, but from my understanding, it's a shared medium.

I'm sure a few of you have connected to verrry slow WLANs before, where there were people on there downloading/xfering stuff, and your connection is suffered because of it.