• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About Buying RAM For My New System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KamuiRSX

Registered
Okay I guess here's the parts for my new system first.

AMD X2 6400+ processor
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 mobo
2 x EVGA 8800GT SSC 512mb 256bit GDDR Vid Cards
4 x Vantec Tornado 80mm fans ATM

I think that's about it for pertinent information but my question is what is some good RAM to buy for this. I've read that some of you guys actually buy higher speed RAM and underclock it to get better speeds. Will my mobo do this as well. I was under the impression by Gigabyte that I can only buy DDR2 800 and no others will work. But I've saw at least 1 guy with a socket AM2 processor that stated he had underclocked his RAM. What's some decent RAM to underclock. I preferrably want timings in the 3-3-3 region.

I was thinking about buying some Super Talent 5-5-5-15 2GB sticks and just OC'ing them to get my desired speeds but if I can underclock to achieve the same results, I'd rather do that as it won't invalidate my warranty :D.

Specs on Super Talent 800 Memory

Specification
- Mfr Part Number: T800UB2GV
- Type: DDR2
- Capacity: 2 GB
- Speed: PC6400 800MHz
- Size & Bit: 128 x 8
- Pins: 240pin
- ECC: No

Specs from supertalent.com:

Module Features
- 240-pin DDR2 DIMM
- Non-ECC, Unbuffered
- 2GB module (256Mx64)
- DDR2-800, 5-5-5-15 latencies
- Dual rank
- Chip Architecture: 16 chips, 128Mx8
- Cast aluminum high-efficiency (HE) heatspreader
- SPD*: DDR2-800, 5-5-5-15 latencies
- Made in USA
- Super Talent Lifetime Warranty
Test Specs
These modules are tested and guaranteed to operate at
these specs.
- DDR2-800 / PC2-6400
- 5-5-5-15 Latencies (CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS)
- Test Voltage: 2.1V
- Tested on Asus P5WD2 or P5B Deluxe

Okay on a positve note, I did find this brand of memory as well.

Specs on 1066 Memory

Micron 2GB 128Mx8 PC2-8500 CL6 240-Pin DIMM

Description:

This module has been tested to run at DDR2 1066MHz at a latency timing of 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V. The

SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1.8V. This 240-pin

DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.8V. The electrical and mechanical specifications

are as follows:

Advanced Features:

Power supply : Vdd: 1.8V ± 0.1V, Vddq: 1.8V ± 0.1V

Double-data-rate architecture; two data transfers per clock cycle

Bidirectional data strobe(DQS)

Differential clock inputs(CK and CK)

DLL aligns DQ and DQS transition with CK transition

Programmable Read latency 5 (clock)

Burst Length: 4, 8 (Interleave/nibble sequential)

Programmable Burst type (sequential & interleave)

Timing Reference: 5-5-5-15 at +1.8V / 5-5-5-15 at +2.2V

Edge aligned data output, center aligned data input

Auto & Self refresh, 7.8us refresh interval (8K/64ms refresh)

Serial presence detect with EEPROM

High Performance Heat Spreader

Double sided component

Clock Cycle Time (tCK) CL=5 2.5ns (min.) / 8ns (max.)

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 51.5ns (min.)

Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFC) 105ns

Row Active Time (tRAS) 39ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)

Single Power Supply of +1.8V (+/- .1V)

Power 2.025 W (operating)

UL Rating 94 V - 0

Operating Temperature 0 C to 55 C

Storage Temperature -55 C to +125 C

Now I figure since it runs at 1066 normally with 5-5-5-15. Maybe at 800 it will run somewhere around 3-3-3 ish region. Any feedback?

Last edited:
I would recommend some DDR800 Crucial Ballistix. You should be able to get 3-3-3-10 while underclocked. If not, you can definitely get close. They run at 4-4-4-12 at stock.

Well I'm ultimately gunning for 800 for the speed of the ram so I was going to buy 1066 and underclock it to get the 3-3-3 ish speed.

Last edited:
Yeah but it be easier to underclock rather than overclock?

Yeah but you can tighten a 5-5-5-15 to be in the 3-3-3 region?

I'm not talking about Ballistix. I wondering about some Super Talent ddr2 800 with 5-5-5-15 timings.

Ah, in that case I'm not too sure. Hopefully someone that has those will chime in on that. I was recommending that you buy the Ballistix as they are D9's and very good.

Can you give us the part/model #'s on those Super Talents? We'll have a better idea what they can do if I can look up what chips the particular ones you're looking at are running.

I would but I haven't decided to spend $100 on 2gb of Ram especially when I can't seem to find them in 2gb sticks.Besides. I can get the 1066 2gb stick for about $65 each and it has timings of 5-5-5-15 as well. That's why I wanted to see if it is capable or even a good idea. I'm still waiting to hear back from Gigabyte again about being able to use this memory first before I commit to buying.

Here's the specs from their website as well as the model numbers and everything else for the Super Talent Memory. I posted the specs of the 1066 memory above.

Specification
- Mfr Part Number: T800UB2GV
- Type: DDR2
- Capacity: 2 GB
- Speed: PC6400 800MHz
- Size & Bit: 128 x 8
- Pins: 240pin
- ECC: No

Specs from supertalent.com:

Module Features
- 240-pin DDR2 DIMM
- Non-ECC, Unbuffered
- 2GB module (256Mx64)
- DDR2-800, 5-5-5-15 latencies
- Dual rank
- Chip Architecture: 16 chips, 128Mx8
- Cast aluminum high-efficiency (HE) heatspreader
- SPD*: DDR2-800, 5-5-5-15 latencies
- Made in USA
- Super Talent Lifetime Warranty
Test Specs
These modules are tested and guaranteed to operate at
these specs.
- DDR2-800 / PC2-6400
- 5-5-5-15 Latencies (CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS)
- Test Voltage: 2.1V
- Tested on Asus P5WD2 or P5B Deluxe

Well, I am still trying to get to get caught up on the new technology myself. However, right now, I am looking at a Mushkin 2x1gb kit that you may be interested in.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146118

Stock @ 800 it is rated to do 5-5-5-12 but it does so at a fairly low voltage. Will it do say 3-3-3-15 at any voltage? Honestly, the only way that you will ever know is to buy it and try to get there. With the link that I have provided, perhaps someone else will look that kit up and see what it has done for other people.

However, even then, over clocking is always going to be a bit of a crap shoot. You could build a system that you think is identical in every way to another system that somebody else has and never get it to take the same settings. Perhaps one chip somewhere in the whole computer came from a different production run and it is holding the rest of the system back (somewhat of an exaggeration but even so...) Heck but you never know, you may get lucky and do even better than the rig that you are trying to duplicate.

Stock settings are, of course, easy enough to find but OC settings never carry any promise that you will get to them. So, instead of trying to find that magic stick of RAM, it would be far better to hang out here and ask questions to learn what we are doing. Then when you are ready to take the plunge, you might ask in a more general forum for people to look over a whole set of specs and give you any ideas for possible changes.

Eventually, you will end up with whatever you buy and then the real fun begins. Try diferent settings and test that rig out. Run stability tests and benchmarks. See if some other settings will give you better benchies while still being stable. At the end of the process, the rig that clocks the best will be the one that you took the time to learn the most about.

Okay thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look into them real quick. I used to love their memory for my old DDR systems but they were expensive back then. Yeah I don't think I have $309.99 to spend on it. There's only 2 I can find online and one is 2 x 1GB which I won't buy and then there's 4 x 2GB which would be awesome but it's $309.99. So, I guess I'll just go ahead and order some Corsair XMS2 and call it a day.

Last edited:
Back