• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about connecting tv to computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanleychan

Hi,
I am planning to buy a tv in my room and connect it to my computer by plugging it into my radeon 9800pro vid card to play dvd movies with powerdvd 5. I was wondering if the picutre would look the same as if I were using a standalone dvd player or would there be a picture quality decrease?
thanks

JCLW

Depends on the tv, and how you connect it. Correctly done it'll be just as good as a standalone player.

OP
H

hanleychan

I'm going to just plug a video cable into the radeon card and the other end into the s-video port of a tv. I was thinking of just getting some cheap brand 27" tv.

ryan_feine

Resolution on tvs is 800x600 or maybe less i cant member but if you try to display higher res than that it'll look like crap.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
On my PC/TV (AIW) I use at least 1024 res. It works just fine. If your tv supports digital then it should work in higher res. If it is "Television Monitor" set then it's a whole lot better. The only drawback, it can be hard to see any text. Other than that it should work fine, even in 800 res. I do lots of video capture, and use my TV as a second monitor. My PC is also my DVD/VCR. Using just a SVideo cable will be best, the end result is much better than composite, IMO.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
You can tell if your res is too high, by it being to large for the screen, and getting screen cut off. :D

ryan_feine

It wont get cut off. The tv trys to display it all so it takes out lines thats part of what makes the text blurry and picture blurry to if you have the resolution set way to high but if you set it to 800x600 for regular tv or 1024x???(I duno what the other number is and to lazy to look and see) for a hdtv thats what will make it display the best. although higher resolutions may work they won't display as clearly. Of course if you have a widescreen tv use widescreen resolutions instead of 4x3 ones.