• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about controlling a second computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yfan

i'm thinking about building a cheap server computer that will always be on but was wondering since i'm limited on space, is there some software way of controlling/monitoring the computer using my existing computer's monitor/keyboard/mouse short of buying a KVM switch. I've got a usb mouse and keyboard and the kvms with usbs seem really really expensive.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
computer

Try:

TightVNC
VNC
PCanywhere

Any of these will open a window on your desktop containing the otehr computer's desktop. You may use the other computer through this window as if you were on it.

OP
yfan

yfan

wow that looks to be exactly what i was looking for, do you have an experience in setting one up?, how difficult is it in terms of settings...

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
VNC stuff

I have only tried to set it up so I could control computers at my friends' houses through the internet. It hasn't worked out yet. But doing it with other computers on the same LAN should be no sweat. I've got a KVM, so there's no point in using it on my LAN. I recommend TightVNC, its probably the fastest. Look for it with google.

engjohn

tight vns is simple...
1. Install it on the server...
2. select install service from the TightVNC start menu item. (on server)
3. Install client on client machines and start using it...