• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about dual 120mm fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Ok, I have recently got my WC system up and running correctly, and it is in the 24 hour test period, I want to know if it is possible to take 2 120mm fans, and cut the yellow wires (signal wire) and cut the black, and red wires on both of them, and solder them together, and run it off of 1 molex connector into the case.

Let me know if this is possible and even a good idea.

Thanks!

ClarkKent

It's fine if you are going to run them from your PSU. Get some one to second that. But I'm currently running two fans off the same 4 pin molex connector. If you mean into the motherboard I think that would be wrong. Maybe possible but I wouldn't risk it. I have no idea how much wattage is being sent to those 3 pin connectors.

clocker2

Osirus said:
Let me know if this is possible and even a good idea.

Thanks!
Sure it's possible.
If you are going to run off a molex you don't even need to mess around with the yellow signal wire.
Only the red and black will matter.

Airbornederekc

i did it with almost all my 80's i have 3 sets of 2 so i just cut one of em down and spliced it into my other fan so i had one connector for 2 fans

OP
Osirus

Osirus

Well I decided to go with my instinct on this one, and I took both 120mm Fans, cut the yellow wire, soldered the black and red together, closer to the other one, and ran it into the case (WC setup is external) and pluged it into a molex connector, powered up my system, and bingo!

Thanks for the info guys, just wanted to make sure it was what I thought it was going to do.