• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about dual boot..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi guys, my rig is in my sig, and any changes I'm about to make I'll talk about.

I'm currently running Windows 7, and instead of backing up and making copies, or upgrading, I want to install Windows 10 on my new drive and have the option to dual boot.

The way I want to go about this is:

1. Disconnect every drive except the Intel 80GB SSD I have in there now running Win 7.
2. Connect the new 500GB Samsung Evo SSD to SATA, leaving the 80GB also connected.
3. Boot and install Win 10 as a new install but on the 500GB.

Now, from my past experience, doing the above should automatically give me the option of which OS to boot once I restart after the initial install right?
I don't even care if it does ask me, I can go to BIOS every time I need to boot Win 7 because it will be rare, and only in the instances where I forget something and need to check how it was before.

That being said, could I disconnect all drives and install Win 10 on the Samsung only, then reconnect the WIn 7 drive and just tell BIOS which drive to boot when I need Win 7, otherwise leave it on the Samsung?

Which option is the better, and will both work? Which drive will have the dual boot loader if I go with the original option, and is there anything you guys have to add?

Thank you very much!

For what you want to do, I would disconnect all drives except the one you want to put 10 on and install it. Then add your 7 drive. You would have to select your boot drive that you want to use on every startup.

I'm sure there would be a way to get that dual boot screen, but since that would reside in the boot sector on one of the drives it has the possibility of being messed up and thereby messing up the dual boot. I think the bios option is best, especially if the w10 drive is by default, then you only have to worry about the boot order if you want win7.

Back