• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about HDD upgrade on MAC BOOK PRO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

computer specs

PROC: 2.5mGhz core 2 duo
4GB 1066 ddr3
model Identifier: MacBookPro5.5
bus speed: 1.07

HDD ST750LX003-1AC154

File SYSTEM: Journaled HFS+

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Let me start by saying I am not a MAC user and don't know much about them. My girlfriend wanted to upgrade her HDD again. When the computer was new it had a 320GB, then we upgraded to a 500GB we received for free. Recently she was complaining that her computer was slow and she wanted a larger HDD. Her complaint with old HDD was that when she clicks on files and programs and the such they were taking longer then normal to load. My first thought was the 5400rpm HDD that I assumed had a low amount of cash was the culprit. There was still ~12% free space on the HDD. I talked her into spending more and getting a hybrid. I told her to get this one.

She is telling me she notices little to know difference in speed. Did I format it wrong?

She uses this mostly for school. Writing reports, power point, email, brows web, watch movies, plays a few games, but I have yet to reinstall games again.

I feel she should notice a difference.

thoughts, ideas, answers, questions????

Thanks for looking and reading my thread.

-Pinky

The only gain she will relly see is boot up times. Once the Bios loads how fast once you type in the log in PW does the PC load? She should see her word processor load faster etc.

It's possible the drive needs time to learn more about her usage too, I have read these drives learn over time what to load faster and move to the SSD part of the drive.

I'm kinda an idiot and the specifics on there drives, and it's a MAC. So I have no clue really.

LOL, big help eh?

I also read about the learning curve of hybrids. I kept telling her to wait and see. It has been two weeks with daily use.

Well, I guess she it stuck with it either way till she graduates in 6 years.

Back