• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about OC an i7 4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gexudo

I have had this processor for a couple of years now but I never thought about OC'ing until recently after a GPU upgrade. After reading and researching a lot about it I've decided to shoot for a simple 4.2Ghz frequency. All went well except that in the UEFI I am unable to push the CPU ratio above 39 which is something that I really found odd since both my CPU and mb allow for OC. I have manually changed the value to say 40 but as soon as i press enter it goes back to 39 and refuses to go any higher. Any ideas why this happens?

I can provide screenshots if needed, also I have a Hyper 212 Evo cooler.

P.S: CPU: i7 4770k, Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Last edited:
4.2 -4.4 should be doable on that hsf .
Set CPU ratio to 42
ring ratio to 40
vcore to 1.2 ( as a first try )
save and exit

I am still not able to OC, I had already done what you described to me. Feel free to delete this thread since I won't have time to invest in OCing in the near future.

Don't give up so easy. Overclocking that chip is a cakewalk. Use this great guide that works . It's not alot of work, just patience. The guide will be there when you decide to return.

Note: Be sure you have the latest bios for your board.

Yes it more than likely is exactly a bios thing. You are using a z97 board with a z87 Cpu. You are going to need a bios update to make them compatible. At least I am pretty darn sure that is the case. z97 was for Devils Canyon so at least before you chalk it up as a defeat go to msi download the latest bios and make sure you read up on how to flash it if it's the first time you've ever done this.

Yes it more than likely is exactly a bios thing. You are using a z97 board with a z87 Cpu. You are going to need a bios update to make them compatible. At least I am pretty darn sure that is the case. z97 was for Devils Canyon so at least before you chalk it up as a defeat go to msi download the latest bios and make sure you read up on how to flash it if it's the first time you've ever done this.

I'm no expert on the subject but with the chipset being newer than the CPU it The board should support it out of the box

I'm no expert on the subject but with the chipset being newer than the CPU it The board should support it out of the box

Good point but that doesn't preclude a bug that a bios update might fix.

Thanks for the help but I'm not giving up on it, just delaying to another time. The BIOS is also up to date.

Back