• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about running 2 hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newguy123

Hello

I recently bought a new Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm ata 100 hard drive. I have a asus a7v motherboard. And i was wondering how could i hook up my old hard drive which is ata 66 5400rpm with windows 98 se still on there and i do not want to format it. I just want to hook it up and let my new hard drive boot and my old hard drive just be extra space with windows and other things on there,if i hook my old hard drive off the CD-Rom will it wor?? I dont want to connect it to my new hard drive ribbion because it will slow down my new hard drive. Will my old hard drive also try to boot if it has win98 se on there? If yes how can i just let it have the stuff on there without that hard drive booting.

thanks for any advice

You should not have any problems leaving Win98 SE setup on your old drive and booting from your new drive. You can put your older drive and your CD-Rom Drive on the same IDE Cable, I guess I'd set the CD-Rom as the slave drive, but it should not matter either way which is master. As long as your new drive is setup on the Primary IDE Port/Socket on the Motherboard/Controller, you shouldn't have any problems booting. I've done similar setups temporarily to try other operating systems and didn't have any problems...

Back