• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Sanyo Denki Long Life fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Jim,

Yeah, thats a really good price, you should grab em fast.

@nothor,

Congratz, glad to hear that you can find it there in Germany, the s/h cost must be a lot cheaper. :clap:

Btw, since I don't understand German, is that new or used ? Few of mine are practically never used and new, even without any dust at all :D since they've been stored as spare part for those big expensive ibm rs/6000 computer, these big boys cost hundreds thousand of dollars or even millions a piece. :eek:

Mine are reversed pwm, and as inVain said, that short test is the easiest way to determine it's type, just be careful DO NOT let that pwm line touch the +12 volt, it must be on +5 volt or the ground.

Thanks to you both inVain and bing for your quick advice. The fan sold on ebay is described as "used condition but fine" i think, we'll see. I'm expecting an like new one due to the picture, where it looks quite new. I have a lot of pwm-controllers laying around here, and do not stop to plan and solder further ones. There will came up some with replaceable caps and resistors to make it fit to all these different pwm-types fans :)

Yeah, from that single photo, it looks like its quite new, anyway, just share with us your finding once its arrived, hoping its brand new.

Heck, even used, I pretty sure this longlife series fan still has a very long life for you to have fun with. :D

@Jim,

Yeah, thats a really good price, you should grab em fast.

@Nothor,

Congratz, glad to hear that you can find it there in Germany, the s/h cost must be a lot cheaper. :clap:

Btw, since I don't understand German, is that new or used ? Few of mine are practically never used and new, even without any dust at all :D since they've been stored as spare part for those big expensive ibm rs/6000 computer, these big boys cost hundreds thousand of dollars or even millions a piece. :eek:

Mine are reversed pwm, and as inVain said, that short test is the easiest way to determine it's type, just be careful DO NOT let that pwm line touch the +12 volt, it must be on +5 volt or the ground.

Just ordered a pair of them for $25 shipped, bing. :D I'll have some more bad boy fans to play with now. I'll post pics of them up when they come in.

So, ordered on thursday, recieved today (monday), delivery about 15.000 km! Thats really quick! And here we go, thats what you recieve when you order via Aliexpress in China. Wouldn't buy an Ipad there, but purchasing "simple" parts like that fans it's a great source for hard-to-find things.
2011_01_09_unwrap1z7rk3.jpg
2011_01_09_unwrap21lq04.jpg
2011_01_09_unwrap36dov5.jpg
2011_01_09_unwrap40npuf.jpg
2011_01_09_unwrap5yurqh.jpg
2011_01_09_unwrap6lboqh.jpg
Fans in used but good condition. Unfortunately, Aliexpress is not the cheapest, and after purchasing, the listed item is almost doubled in price!! (if you plan do make a second buy). Strange....

Today, a second arrival :clap:
Sanyo Denki 120L 9GL1212V1J03 - in unused like new condition.
Here next to the 9SG1212P1G06 (similar to 9SG1212P1G01). Two really nice fans, but i've to say that i like the 9SG1212P1G06 more because its incredible speed range and not beeing an inverted PWM fan.

San Ace 120L 9GL1212V1J03: min. speed around 2.000 rpm, top speed around 5.000 (not measured yet)

San Ace 120 9SG1212P1G06: min. speed around 600 rpm, top speed around 6.000 rpm.

sanace120_9sg1212p1g0x24r4.jpg
sanace120_9sg1212p1g0py6dh.jpg

Thanks for that really nice photos, both metal frame fans look so mean, I can see you bought your self many fans lately ;) , and congratz for getting that long life fan with that price :thup:, definitely worth it especially with this kind of quality built fan.

Of course you just can not compare it with the 9SG1212P1G0x series, they're just different, its like comparing a ferrari on 9SG1212P1G0x which is fast & agile vs 9GL1212V1J03 which is built like a tank, not so fast but very reliable and will last for very long time. ;)

One note about these high quality fans, I really think these kind of fans will be the last of it's kind, especially these days most big manufacturers moving their factory to China, which I guess will have lower quality, just watch that long life of yours, it was made in Japan. At it seems like new sanyo fans are not made in there anymore. Again, this is just my speculation.

Edit :

Btw, do you notice that the blade/impeller's material is different between these two ? Just take a look closely or rub it with your finger, I'm really curious why they're different ?

Last edited:
Thanks for that really nice photos, both metal frame fans look so mean, I can see you bought your self many fans lately ;) , and congratz for getting that long life fan with that price :thup:, definitely worth it especially with this kind of quality built fan.

Of course you just can not compare it with the 9SG1212P1G0x series, they're just different, its like comparing a ferrari on 9SG1212P1G0x which is fast & agile vs 9GL1212V1J03 which is built like a tank, not so fast but very reliable and will last for very long time. ;)

One note about these high quality fans, I really think these kind of fans will be the last of it's kind, especially these days most big manufacturers moving their factory to China, which I guess will have lower quality, just watch that long life of yours, it was made in Japan. At it seems like new sanyo fans are not made in there anymore. Again, this is just my speculation.

Edit :

Btw, do you notice that the blade/impeller's material is different between these two ? Just take a look closely or rub it with your finger, I'm really curious why they're different ?

China currently has lower quality, though just think how far they'll come in the next 10 years. May get back to the quality we have now.....

Exactly bing, even the blades of the L-version differs from the usual 9SG1212P1G01, which is high quality indeed! But i like the look of the thick steel axis in the center. The "L" would be the perfect fan if it where able to run an 500 rpm at minimum!

I grabbed a couple of the 9GL1212V1J03's on ebay for $25 shipped. I haven't tested them out yet, but boy do they look mean! Me likey! :)

Have fun with'em. unfortunately, they've no silent qualities, but if a had a server in the basement which i would run 24/7 and take no care about, i think it's the best fan to cool it for years.

Hey Jason, congratz, thats a good price, now you owe us at least few pics of them here. ;)

Agree with Nothor, these long life metal frame bad boys are not designed for quite operation in the 1st place.

Never tried to use voltage control, but it should be working, just make sure you have your fan controller has enough power approx. 22 watt to drive this fan.

I'll try the 5V-Mod this evening. I've no Voltage controller since having sold all non-pwm-fans and controllers on ebay. I'm just an PWM-fan-addicted ^^

I got mine in and they look new and unused. I've played with them a bit and the inverted PWM signal is different, to say the least. But, if I connect the PWM wire to the 5v wire on a molex, the fan is very livable in sound. At full blast they blow like a mother too. :D

I got a question for you though: Would it hurt to put a switch in the PWM wire and feed it straight off the 5v rail on the molex? That way I could make a 2 speed fan out of it. Open the switch and you have full speed; close the switch and the 5v rail feeds the PWM wire and turns the fan down to min speed. But would 5v DC being fed into the PWM wire hurt the fan?

Hey congratz Mud, yeah, most of the times these gems are stored as spare part for those ultra expensive big computer, heck, even used, I believe it still has really long life to go.

About connecting the pwm line to +5 volt, yes, its fine and safe, actually by connecting to the +5 rail, its just the same as feeding it with 0% duty cycle pwm signal. Thats what I called a poor man pwm fan controller. :D

Just remember, do not connect the pwm line to +12 volt, only at +5 volt, afraid that might toast the fan's circuit inside.

C'mon Mud, with that pile of fans there, I think its time for you to have a decent pwm fan controller, it will be handy especially for heatsink review at those different fans comparisons like you always did.

FYI: 5V-Mod doesn't work with the Sanjo Denki 9GL1212V1J03. The fan doesn't give a lifesign. With the 7V-Mod, it runs like 100% PWM Duty Cycle.

FYI: 5V-Mod doesn't work with the Sanjo Denki 9GL1212V1J03. The fan doesn't give a lifesign. With the 7V-Mod, it runs like 100% PWM Duty Cycle.

The trick to the 9GL1212V1J03 is not hooking power up with a 7v or 5v connection, but rather hooking the brown PWM sense wire to the 5v (red) wire lead on a molex connector. When you connect it to the 5v wire, it runs at min speed. I haven't actually installed them into a system yet to actually see what they are turning at min speed, but it sounds like around 2000 rpm. Not as noisy as my Denki H1011 fans at full speed when they are at minimum PWM speed.

Back