• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about WD Raptors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syx

I was just wondering if there would be a difference in performance in these two setups.
2x36GB WD Raptors w/RAID 0
or 1x74GB WD Raptor

I noticed it would be more expensive to go with the dual setup and that the seek time on the 36GB is slightly higher, does anybody know which one would perform better?

Enigma422

According to this article at Anandtech there is no advantage in using a RAID 0 setup for the average user, so I would imagine that the 74GB Raptor would be better since it would be cheaper.

It all depends on if your going to be doing a lot of hard drive intensive work.

OP
Syx

Syx

I just plan on using it for Windows and games, and I plan on having an extra samsung drive for storage of music/video files and for backups.

Enigma422

Well like the article said, for gaming there is only a negligable performance increase between 2 RAIDed drived and a single drive. Since the 36GB Raptors are slightly slower than the 74GB Raptors, RAIDing to two 36GB Raptors might only give you the performance of one 74GB Raptor when it comes to loading games or Windows. Based on this, if I had to choose between two 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 or one 74GB Raptor, I would go with the 74GB HD and save a little money.

dragonhunter

I have 2x raptor in raid 0 and they fly. 2 drives working @ the same time is always better than 1. If you decide to go w/ raid 0 then 16k stripe size/ 16k cluster size is :thup:

Vio1

i posted an article regarding this on the front page of overclockers.com

I sold both my 36gb raptors and bought myself a 74gb raptor... that should tell you something.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
The real question is whether you want to go with a single 36GB raptor that you can get used for $85-90 or if you want to go with a single 74GB raptor which goes for ~$200?

I chose to go with the 36GB raptor for OS and programs, and I have high capacity IDE drives in RAID0 for everything else. :)

Vio1

if your after the best perforance Id say go with 1 x 74gb raptor... it has a bit better access time and is generally faster then the original raptor... value wise... yes Id agree with IMOG, a 36gb raptor can be picked up for $80-90.