• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question bout clamps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RedViper said:
This may be petty for YOU, but I think that's because these guys didn't try to act like Einstein's and Hero's at your expense. Do what you have to, but I'm not going to pretend like this sort of juvenile crap is okay. It isn't.

I warned you yesterday in another thread about Rule #1 as did SpeedyDJ and a slew of seniors and members in this thread.

Enjoy your 3 day vacation. :-/

Last edited:
Thanks for stepping in guys, it was getting a little crazzy in here. Would you all mind cleaning this thread up and deleting all the unneeded post? Could be important for some people and they should not have to go through all this mess to find the good stuff. Thanks again.

-JS

Well, I cannot speak for the mods but there is some mileage to be gained from leaving these alone once in a while. They serve as reminders of what not to do...

What if the fans on the radiator suddenly fail, causing the circulating water to heat up...

and when the water starts to get hot, the seemlingly tight tubing attached to the hose barbs might slip off.

So even if you think that it's a tight fit and will never come off, there's always an uncertainty.

BTW, it is possible to purchase smooth worm gears, and constant torque worm gears. Both minimize the risk of cutting through your tubing.

There's every reason to use clamps and NO reason not to (unless ur Cathar :D ).

Malpine Walis said:
Well, I cannot speak for the mods but there is some mileage to be gained from leaving these alone once in a while. They serve as reminders of what not to do...

I agree, I learned a lot from it, and there's a comment I would like to take back, but there is no point in editing it because it was quoted later on.

greenman100 said:
I agree, I learned a lot from it, and there's a comment I would like to take back, but there is no point in editing it because it was quoted later on.

It might be a good idea to edit it with an apology anyway. Even though it was quoted, it shows that you have taken back the comment.

Thanks
David

I wouldnt ever run my system without hoseclamps. When i leak test my waterblocks, I put them up to a garden hose, and block off the outlet of the block... When i remove the hose, it sounds like a car tire deflating. The tubing doesnt have to come off to cause a leak - if you put sideways torque on the hosing, without it sliding up the barb at all, it leaks... with a hose clamp, i can swing the block around by the hose and it wont leak.

Short answer - w/o clamps, youre risking leaks, whether the tubing comes off or not...

Hey, that's exactly what I was saying way earlier on in the thread. There are any number of TONS of things that could possibly go wrong in a WC scenario. I was initially talking about bumps or loose screws or whatever else, someone mentioned overheating and I hadn't even thought of that...

There are WAY too many reasons to use hoseclamps, and basically NO reason I can think of to NOT use hoseclamps. Let's go over the pro's and cons:

Pros of using hoseclamps in your WC system:
  • They're cheap at $0.59 per pair at my local Lowes for the metal ones, and even cheaper for the plastic zip-tie ones
  • They're easy and very quick to install
  • Once installed, you're protected against anything to do with that hose coming lose from the barb
  • They never need adjustment
Cons of using hoseclamps in your WC system
  • If you have no common sense and tighten them to a zillion pound-feet, you can potentially damage the hose
  • If you have no common sense and tighten them on the very top of the barb, they can crimp the hose
  • You could have used that $4 for a Big Mac meal instead of hose clamps

I think the list of Pro's far outweighs the list of Con's, but that's my opinion and I'm allowed :)

I guess I'll chime in...

My first watercooling rig hasn't been built yet, but I DID buy clamps. Why? No reason not to.

hmm, now that i read all that i think i have to respond.

EVERYONE is right...

now end this thread...

damn Im sorry all I wanted to know was how tight is to tight
wow didnt mean to start fires here
but at least I got the answer I was looking for :)

Back