• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for some one smarter than me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson69

I have been playing around with 2 systems and found out something very interesting yet do not know what do you think.

I have been messing around with over clocking and found that when temps get high on the "System" ( Or what I assume is the North bridge ) the system fails.

This has happened several times where I have increased the NB voltage to get not only higher clock speeds but higher RAM speeds. Say I use 1.2v on the NB the temps will stay around 75-80*c but when I push the voltages say 1.25v or even 1.3v, this is where things get interesting then say you start to OC that RAM now the NB is now at full speed! 100% usage and starts to heat up like crazy it goes into some kind of strange heat generating cycle as where it was fine before you messed with that RAM now it is getting past 80* going to 90*c NOW it is at 100*c!!!
CPU is only at 50*c everything fine till shut down!
Now this could just be from a bad OC I know. But this happens exactly the same way on 2 different systems completely! Once you start to load up that NB with voltage and ( what I would assume to be frequency ) the system is also unstable and will fail. So as for Over clocking my Rijaws Ram on my FX it is Not going to happen with an Over Clock on the CPU of 4.4GHz.

Same with the Ryzen.

Is anyone else finding this out? This is Not a BSD or some error this is a restart shut down. You get No error messages. And no way to get a screen shot of HWm.

Any one know what all the TMPIn1 sensors are?

temp..jpg

So I have backed the voltages of the NB to auto and do not over clock the ram it is all on auto. no heat issues at the same CPU clock speeds.
Seems like the weak link for AMD is that NB and the VRM they still get hot ( granted Not as hot as the old 970 chipset ) It would seem that if this is known there would be some improvements coming from the MB industry yet we still seem to get sub par parts boxed in eye candy so you buy it? seems like if not for the heat build up from the NB I could actually get MORE from my CPU.

Any thoughts maybe I am way off base I am stone right now and just board thought I would share this little bit of info I have been having issues with.

Last edited:
that's why we aim fans in those areas, when you go to water or a tower air cooler you remove the airflow over these areas the stock cooler provided.

Turn up the speed on your cpu fan ...... you are only turning 487 rpm on it. Get some air flowing through your cooler man and some case fans to move some warm air out of your case.

Can you give us a breakdown of all the components in these builds? A picture of your setups would be helpful a well.

Have you tried using a different monitoring program like HWinfo64 or one from the Mobo manufacturer to see if it would tell you more about where the temperatures are being pulled from?

Meh....normal. It is a balancing act.

Also, are you confusing CPU/NB with NB?

Can you give us a breakdown of all the components in these builds? A picture of your setups would be helpful a well.

Have you tried using a different monitoring program like HWinfo64 or one from the Mobo manufacturer to see if it would tell you more about where the temperatures are being pulled from?

No I am not some pro Hardware guy that has tons of equipment nor do I have the technical know how so Sorry no.
I have given as detailed account as I can at this time. do not know what is missing not an educated man a 50 year old that get kicked out of school so yeah.

Well point said in this thread is airflow. You need to crank those fans and get the hot air out. Simple rule of physics: Get hot air out so cool air can get in ;)

with my amd chips I turn up the fan on the cooler in the bios then forget about them and put a lot of effort into getting the stuff on the board cooled.
the basic airflow we like to see is, in at the bottom front and out at the upper rear.
in my amd rigs they all have a fan just hung in space by fishing line that blow over the vrms and north bridge, just getting one pointed in the area between the cpu socket and rear in/out panel will help.
and do set your cooler fan to higher performance in bio.

No I am not some pro Hardware guy that has tons of equipment nor do I have the technical know how so Sorry no.
I have given as detailed account as I can at this time. do not know what is missing not an educated man a 50 year old that get kicked out of school so yeah.

I may not have explained what information I was looking for well enough. I was interested in what motherboard and cpu you areusing as well as what computer case and how the fans are set up in the case and what type the fans are.

If you do not k know that information off hand you can download CPU-Z and post a screenshot with multiple instances of CPU-Z running so that you can open all of the different tabs. That would give us some helpful information.

Hes just asking for system specifications... what hardware you have exactly? Consider making a signature and adding your specs so its listed. This way, when you start threads, its there.

Edit: oops... what he said already. :)

Last edited:
Hes just asking for system specifications... what hardware you have exactly? Consider making a signature and adding your specs so its listed. This way, when you start threads, its there.

Edit: oops... what he said already. :)

Well I have 2 Different rigs and the issues are on both, one is like 6 years or more old that setup is as follows;

MSI 970A-G46 MB (With stock Heat Sink on the VRM chips), FX 8300 @4.4GHz with 1.4v Vcore, 16BG G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 @1866MHz, HD5870 Video card (Antique), TX850 Corsair PSU. Standard 7200rpm WD 1TB hard drive (slower than snail sh*z on the bottom of a pond). That should about sum up the one system.

Second system is as follows;

GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 , Ryzen 3 1300X @4.0GHz with 1.39v-1.4v Vcore ( It is never sure), 16GB Patriot PC4-21300 @2666MHz ( Not a "matched pair" Had to buy them separately as each stick cost as much as the CPU $130 Bucks!) Geforce GTX 1050 video card, 3TB WD hard drive. CX750M PSU.
Hope this helps.

The thing is my OC is great I am happy I have no issues at all.
This is more about how other things are causing issues when over clocking other than just the CPU getting hot or it being at it's limit. I feel that there are other " Links in the chain" that are not helping CPU's (even Intel's) from actually reaching there full MAX potential. And what I think maybe that issue.
This was the issue with my Q9650! I know that chip was a ROCKET out of the BOX! Went through 4 MB's till I could get one that would NOT heat up. I remember water cooling that entire system and getting like 4+GHz on the CPU. ( anyway)....

I am actually wondering why they even give samples for others (other than me) to test? I mean if they "test" them CPU's, RAM and MB's ahead of time don't "they" Know what is wrong with them and just how to solve or better yet FIX them issues? And if NOT then what is the point on handing out all that crap months ahead? And all the reviews! OMG!
It all makes no logical sense to me. The FX line was a complete mess yet they knew this far beyond any release of the thing yet...
And lets not just forget the MB companies they KNOW really well just what they were and are doing and yet the crap they pimp out to the masses is unbelievable!
I just wonder if anyone else is seeing this is all, My CPU's IMHO have some more head room if only the powers that be would do something.
The Makers of mother boards need to step up the game big time Biggly! IMHO the weakest link in the chain for the AMD CPU is the MB! over heating the VRM's or the NB or any other hot spots on the MB is the main reason I am seeing of failure.
"They" claim to be so good they print all that kill stuff on there boxes and make outrageous exaggerated claims of how killer there gaming or enthusiast board is, then you pay all that cash only to find a there claims are far from the exaggerated eye candy box claims. Because of the NB or VRM over heating.

I think it is time the makers of these MB pay closer attention to the CPU and RAM they are getting and just how it is being reviewed as well. seems to me the only time the review counts is when the NEXT gen is pimped out yet the MB's still drag them down when released it is just a joke on the consumer! IMHO.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

I am actually wondering why they even give samples for others (other than me) to test? I mean if they "test" them CPU's, RAM and MB's ahead of time don't "they" Know what is wrong with them and just how to solve or better yet FIX them issues? And if NOT then what is the point on handing out all that crap months ahead? And all the reviews! OMG!
It all makes no logical sense to me.
The samples we get for testing are not to test and find problems. Reviewers like us, or larger sites like Anandtech, do not get samples 'months' in advance. I think Johan got the AMD chips between a week or two ahead of their embargo. So, the point is to test them as the public sees them, which, for all intents and purposes is what we do.

The FX line wasn't so much a mess as it was expected. AMD themselves at the time of launch stated they were not competing on the top end but were bringing out bang for hte buck CPUs.

Also, stop acting like a sad sack about not getting hardware to review. People doing the reviews busted their *** to get where they are, have a sound technical base, and can write worth a damn - with respect, those are not traits that you possess currently. You act like these take a day to test and write up. It takes a week+ to properly test these things, get data entered into the graphs, photos and cropping, and then we can start to write. So, yeah...quit your whining about that already. :)

And lets not just forget the MB companies they KNOW really well just what they were and are doing and yet the crap they pimp out to the masses is unbelievable!
I don't get it... it was only AMD boards that really had a problem with dropping in the power hungry FX on a budget board. Outside of that, there aren't really any issues with motherboards. Look at modern Intel (and AMD for that matter) can use a $110 board and take an 8700K to 5Ghz. Some X299 platform boards had issues, but for the most part, that was overblown and only in stress testing situations.

I just wonder if anyone else is seeing this is all, My CPU's IMHO have some more head room if only the powers that be would do something.
Sorry to say, but your FX isn't going much farther on that motherboard without help. It uses too much power for what you are trying to do with it overclocking that CPU. Your Ryzen CPU on the other hand, is just about topped out. It doesn't matter if you have a $100 board or $300 board, you aren't getting past 4.1-4.2 Ghz on ambient cooling (we've said as much several times to you - eventually you may listen and understand). So, your opinion is correct for your FX chip, but not for Intel mainstream platform or modern AMD. So, I disagree strongly with half of that opinion. This discussion has been played out over the past 5 years already when those parts were new. :)

The Makers of mother boards need to step up the game big time Biggly! IMHO the weakest link in the chain for the AMD CPU is the MB! over heating the VRM's or the NB or any other hot spots on the MB is the main reason I am seeing of failure.
Again, for overclocking your FX, yes. For anyting else, not really.

I think it is time the makers of these MB pay closer attention to the CPU and RAM they are getting and just how it is being reviewed as well. seems to me the only time the review counts is when the NEXT gen is pimped out yet the MB's still drag them down when released it is just a joke on the consumer! IMHO.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
That is definately an opinion and half wrong. I still don't understand "how" you want motherboards reviewed, but we are open to hearing what you have to say...

Again, your opinion is ok when talking about FX CPUs from years ago (not right when talking modern AMD and Intel mainstream). This rehash of AMD board partner's mobos being an issue when overclocking is old news and does not apply to your Ryzen.

Again, add a signature so we don't have to constantly ask for and you do not have constantly type it out. ;)

Last edited:
Back