• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for the Memory Gurus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leaddraft

OK, OK So I'm guessing you have heard this question 100 times before..

I'm running a ASUS M2R32-MVP Mobo (AM3 socket), with a AMD 1045T X6 CPU
Currently running..

8 Gigs of DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500) Memory, slightly oc'c..
This stuff here-->
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)(8 GIGS Total),, 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Timings 5-5-5-5-15-24
--------------------------------
Being a Smart-@$$ :screwy:
I wanted to "double" My Memory, (I wasn't thinking right ATM).. :rolleyes:

I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT, (IT'S ON THE WAY)...

16 Gigs of DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) Memory...
Timings: CL5/CL6
Voltage: 1.8V

Have I messed up?
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Performance increase/decrease? What should I expect? :confused:

Last edited:
There will be a decrease but.....

The question is will you notice it? Probably not. When I did my last upgrade of RAM (DDR3) I ran some bench marks and found that the speed of the RAM made very little difference. What did make a difference was how many sticks I ran. 1 stick in a dual channel MB was slower than two sticks on dual channel. I was disappointed as I had spent a bit more for faster RAM but....

I'm more surprised that you're running DDR2 with a Phenom X6 proc. But no worries, I think that you'll be happy with your purchase.

I'm NOT looking for a "faster" per se increase of speed, just more "Stability" & more WORK, per cycle, (if that came out correctly).. .. YES, I will OC, the NEW ram modules, to see what I can get outta them..
My DDR1066 timings are-> Timings 5-5-5-5-15-24
I read "looser" timings are better..

That said....
these 16 Gig..
16 Gigs of DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) Memory...
Timings: CL5/CL6
Voltage: 1.8V
Would "looser" Timings be CL5 or CL6? or 4-X-X-X-X?
AND what are "Looser" timings? If this is better?

Sorry I'm a total noob at this..

This is How things are "are currently running" at a HAPPY Medium:confused:
Capture12.JPG Capture10.JPG

Oh forget one snip... sry.. Some how by the picture below, I think I'm getting ... (you know) shows "only" pc 6400 running? (SPD)? I'm I correct? NOT, PC2- 8500?

Attachments

• forgot one.JPG
    forgot one.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Looser timings will be less performance. The only performance increase you would get from 16 GB over 8 GB is if you regularly ran out of RAM at 8 GB. If 8 GB was enough another 100 GB won't help.
CL5-5-5 to CL6-5-5 is "looser" =slower but more stable in most cases. Smaller numbers=tighter timings=more performance. Bearing in mind what don256us said, though, the differences you're discussing aren't going to show up in day to day use. Outside of benchmarks and a few memory specific applications (many of which benefit from quantity over speed) CL5 or CL6 is meaningless, along with the gap between 1600 MHz and 2133 MHz.

AND what are "Looser" timings? If this is better?
In the primary timings the numbers indicate different work cycles as "clocks". X work in fewer clock cycles is faster, but we're talking very brief spans here, like milliseconds and nano seconds, so the differences are quite small.

The SPD tab in your last post just shows what the ICs are binned to run according to the JEDEC standard. The memory tab will tell you the speed/timings at which your memory is actually running.

edit: Last thought-if you're going to OC you're better off running two 4 GB sticks in dual channel config. It's easier on the IMC in the chip, letting you get higher clocks on the CPU and memory. All being dependent on whether or not you really need the 16GB or not.

Last edited:
So, let me get this "right".. Considering what, Alaric said above...

By that Memeory pictured above I'm running basically a little over PC-2 6400... Correct?

overclocked at 432.0 MHz.... HAVE I got THIS correct in My dumb head? (I never was good at math),, sry..

SINCE is it showing, (3rd picture) , IT IS running @ "SPD" or PC2- 6400Mhz (400MHz) which is what is happening in CPU-Z... :confused:

Even THOUGH I HAVE the 533 feature on the MoBO, (forget that, it'll boot a few seconds unless I up the voltage past 2.1)
So, in essence I'm NOT gaining nothing, but MORE memory, (yes My board supports the indicated memory I purchased)..
It just REFUSES TO RUN AT PC2-8500, (533)? (which this board supports)...:confused:

BUT , according to My arse-backwards math, using My CURRENT memory I SHOULD be hitting DRAM FREQ of 532.5... (PC2-8500)?:confused:

Right? (correct Me if I'm wrong)...

There's quite a bit of FUSSIN over @ ASUS Tech Forum(s), about this board NOT being able to hit the 533 DRAM FREQ, benchmark (indicated) in the BIOS.. It just doesn't happen.... SO....

Should I be "Happy" going from 8 to 16 gigs?
(IF I can get this to run close of not better than those speeds posted above?)

I'm going to use this for playing "War Thunder & IRACING.."
AND AdobeCS6..
In addition I'm using a STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-2GD5-GAMING Graphics card in this dern thing...
(It won't overclock) in the Bios.. Stays at the same settings in CPU-Z..:bang head

I know I know..
I'm a dern NOOB..
I'm NOT good at math, (I'm so sorry)...
I KNOW this is *OLD* stuff or "OLD hat" to some of ya'll..
So I'm really apologies for asking all these NOOB questions..
Stuff wasn't like it was 10 years ago, when I lurked these Boards for that fabled "BC SD100/133" memory..
I "think" I got this board about MAXED OUT...
ya think?
Suggestions would be welcomed..

Double Data Rate 432 MHz=864 MHz, so yup. You have that right.

The SPD tab in CPU-Z is just the specifications for the RAM as read by CPU-Z.

The Memory tab shows the actual running conditions/parameters of the RAM currently.

Your motherboard may support 533 MHz RAM, but your DDR2 400 may not OC to DDR 533 no matter what your board is capable of. Or your CPU's IMC may not like trying to run that particular RAM at DDR2 533. Looser timings may help in either of the last two scenarios,. A voltage bump may help as well. Quantity, speed, and timings will all affect your IMC's ability to run the memory.

The likeliest scenario is all or some combination of the above. First step would be set the speed in the BIOS and leave everything else on Auto. If that tests stable it's time to either try more speed or work on getting tighter timings.

A few notes, here. Overclocking that CPU will lower the ceiling for a RAM OC, it's just the nature of the business. The same holds true for taking your RAM to the ragged edge-that will limit your CPU's headroom. From a performance standpoint, the best practice is to get a stable and thermally acceptable OC on the CPU before you start messing with the RAM. CPU speed will be of greater benefit overall. Finally, RAM overclocking can corrupt your OS. Getting greedy and making big leaps instead of incremental steps can, and almost certainly will, corrupt your OS. If possible, install an OS on a spare drive and use that for RAM overclocking and stability testing. When it's stable you can swap in your regular OS drive.

That board doesn't support 1066 ram. 800 max, then you overclock from there.
And it only supports 8 gig of ram max.
Hell, your CPU isn't even officially supported on that board. It's an AM2/AM2+ board.

I'd consider yourself lucky it even runs.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M2R32MVP/

Last edited:
That was my first mobo. I liked it a lot. Got some nice clocks out of an AM2 chip on it.

Oh, and I would nominate Woomack as our Memory Guru. We have a lot of knowledgeable folks here, but he's very sharp in the area of RAM. Since he's on the other side of the world (physically) you may still get some input from him on this.

That was my first mobo. I liked it a lot. Got some nice clocks out of an AM2 chip on it.

Oh, and I would nominate Woomack as our Memory Guru. We have a lot of knowledgeable folks here, but he's very sharp in the area of RAM. Since he's on the other side of the world (physically) you may still get some input from him on this.
put me in touch possibly?

My BIG Mistake it is.. (My Mistake).....
A ASUS.. [M4A785-M
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/M4A785M/HelpDesk_CPU/ Am2/AM3
Sorry for misleading anyone, MY bust....
It's a AM3 board with 1045T support.. AMD 1045T X6
AND supports 533 Memory
OMG I'll really feel like a IDIOT...
My sincere Apologies!

Well......that changes everything.
You should have no issue with that 1066 G.Skill ram on that board. If the ram won't run the rated speed and timings, then it's no good. Lifetime warranty. RMA it.

Well......that changes everything.
You should have no issue with that 1066 G.Skill ram on that board. If the ram won't run the rated speed and timings, then it's no good. Lifetime warranty. RMA it.

I already RMA'ed it once before..
It just WILL NOT run @ 533..On the ASUS board, I sent the "new" Ram & board.. They said, just deal with it..
Lotsa comments on ASUS tech forum about that very subject.

It is on that boards QVL list.
RMA it again. "Just deal with it" is not a viable answer if I spent my hard earned cash on it.

So, back to My "original" question, Since THE g-SKILL IS RUNNING AT "Slower speeds", eg: 800MHz, oc'ed at 432,MHz.. (8 Gigs)..
Would I "benefit" *doubling* to 16 Gigs, @ 800 MHz? or Oc'ing "alil"... ??? +/- over 400Mhz?
When I meant I sent "it" back it, ("memory" was RMA'ed from G-Skill ),, AND THEN, I RMA'ed the BOARD itself WITH the new, G-Skill "memory".. Direct too ASUS.. AND the AMD 1045T X6 CPU,,,(they said "deal with it" overclock it..)
If this works out that G-Skill will be up for sale shortly.
Again My dumb arse asking stupid questions..

If you aren't using all 8 GB you currently have, then 16 GB will offer no benefit. If there are tasks you perform that max out your memory usage (this can be checked in Task Manager or Performance Monitor) then you would definitely benefit from more RAM. If you can set the RAM manually to run at the rated speed/timings, run it.

In that case, go with the 16 GB. Either set the speed/timings manually or let the mobo do it. You aren't likely to notice the speed difference in day to day tasks like email and browsing, but the extra capacity will speed things up with Photoshop. :D

Final solution.. Started running memtest on two sticks each... first set passed..
Second set installed about 30% (in the a (black channel) suddenly starting "ohh that smell"
running 6-6-6-18 no over voltages..
Tried blue & black channels, nothing.. NO post.. changing sticks,, nothing...
CPU warm (47C) everything booting.. last BIOS post that was working...
BUT...
Memory sticks were "cold as ice".... After "no bios post"... no bios beeps/nothing...
everything else good/brand new, except wht you get paid for in CHINA!
cleard CMOS & RTC,, nothing...
Mem sticks "cold as ICE"...
You get what you pay for coming from CHINA!
500.00 just now I do not have, for new stuff, board & cpu& memeroy...
Anyone wanna buy my bass boat?

Back