• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question: How hard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperQ

Registered
I have a HP pavilion a375c computer specs are as follows:

key specifications
Microprocessor

Intel®
Pentium ® 4 processor 3.00GHz with Hyper-Threading
Hyper-Threading Technology
Secondary-Level Cache (L2)

512KB
Front-side Bus

800MHz
Memory

512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory (expandable
(expandable to 4GB)
Hard Drive

160GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive
Multimedia Drive

DVD writer and CD-writer combo drive (DVD+RW/CD-RW)
(DVD+RW/CD-RW)
DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM drive 16x max. speed
Video Graphics

BFG 7800gs OC AGP card
Network Interface

Integrated 10/100Base-T network interface
Sound

Integrated AC97, 6 speaker configurable
Memory Slots

4 DIMM (184-pin DDR) (two available)
Memory Speed

2700 MB/sec (PC2700)
Fax/Modem

High-speed V.92 ready data/fax modem
Drive Bays

2 external 5.25"(both occupied)

2 external 3.5" (both occupied)

2 internal 3.5" (occupied)
Expansion Slots

3 PCI (two available)

1 AGP (occupied)
Front Mounted Ports

7-in-1 digital media card reader

1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port

2 USB 2.0

Microphone/Headphone/Line-in
External Ports

Front panel 7-in-1 digital media card reader [supports
[supports Compact Flash I/II, SmartMedia, Memory
Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMediaCard,
MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital (SD) and IBM MicroDrive]
MicroDrive]

6 USB 2.0

2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports

1 Serial

1 Parallel

2 PS/2 (occupied by mouse and keyboard)

1 VGA

External Ports

6 USB 2.0

1 Serial

1 Parallel

2 PS/2 (occupied by mouse and keyboard)

1 VGA
Product Number: DQ110A#ABA 10/08/r2_SL©2003 Hewlett-Packard Company
(a)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=376094&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en

The problem that I am having with this computer is heat!!! It gets much to hot inside the case. I was wondering how hard it would be/expensive to change all the parts into another case with more room for airflow/extra fans. Also if it is possible, could someone recomend a case? Thanks in advance for you help!

:welcome: TO THE FORUMS!

Initially, I thought you might have problems with the card reader and other front ports. I downloaded the manual and checked it out. If you get a case that has all of the front connections you need (USB, Audio, Mic, Firewire) then you should be able to migrate everything from the HP case to a better case. The card reader should go into a 3.5" bay, and everything else should transfer as well-

i have an Antec P160 case with all of the connections you need- great case! But there are many great cases out there, just need to find one that meets all of your needs.

Newegg is a great place to browse- http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=9

well to unscrew and dump all the computer parts is not hard... and to migrate to another case wouldnt be hard either....

you might want to change the heatsink and fan on the CPU... find out what motherboard is used and what socket it is cause there a basic configuration on installation plates / procedure on the heatsinks...

also get a another case... if you have that Antec try it out .. put all in antec... clean up the wires... re-apply the TIM on the CPU... if you cant get a Heatsink for the CPu just clean it all up... and change the fan.. modify it....

also some other case fans would also help... intake up in the front, top// and for exhaust do on the back and bottom of case....

SNieX

pretty much got the job done. I will post pics later today if I get a chance. Thanks to all who helped :attn:

hmm...

i did this to one of our old hp's, and i couldnt migrate the card reader. There was a circuit board on the front of the case that was connected to a usb header, and the usb ports, media connectors, and all other front io stuff connected to that. I had to just mount that in the new case just to use the media reader, which was ugly.

yes the card reader had to go. I don't mind though because I don't use it much anyway. Only other problem I am having is figuring out the sound for those front ports. The number of wires/leades/pins on the front ports is much different than the number of pins on the Motherboard from the HP computer. but I guess it's not that important to me because I never used the front sound imputs much anyway, and I think (correct me if I am wrong) if and when I get a new high dollar sound card, like this:sound blaster it will have it's own front pannel.

ok here are the pics. sorry they are a little grainy, it was late, I was sleepy, and I had to take them with my cell phone.
n8365360_32297250_228.jpg

n8365360_32297251_691.jpg

n8365360_32297252_1247.jpg

n8365360_32297253_1705.jpg

At max resolution 1900x1200 (or whatever the card can max out at) I am getting a idle temp of 41c playing world of warcraft at the same resolution with all the settings maxed I am at 53c-54c, with 54fps normaly ingame and between 24-34fps in Ironforge at peak play times. Not bad for me. I will slowly beging to Mod/oc as I get better components to add to the system. (don't want to buy anything else without reading here on the boards and asking 1st) I bought that expensive psu, and everyone is saying it's probably not that good!

Back