• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on dual monitors ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

i know this is a dumb question...but anyway...when running two monitors, do they have to be the same size? same anything?

thanks for the advice...

no,no and wrong forum lol.

thanks, thanks....sorry about the forum but i didn't think anyone would answer in the weaker images forum....and in the SMP forum a lot of people are running dual displays...

Its SMP for your eyes and brain. I run a Samsung Syncmaster 753DF and an old Trinitron with my R9700 pro. You can even run a flat panel and a crt at the same time. If you hav more than one video card you can run as many monitors as you wish. I know someone with 5 on his dualie! Thats 1 single head, and 2 dual head GeForce MXs.

Its SMP for your eyes and brain. I run a Samsung Syncmaster 753DF and an old Trinitron with my R9700 pro. You can even run a flat panel and a crt at the same time. If you hav more than one video card you can run as many monitors as you wish. I know someone with 5 on his dualie! Thats 1 single head, and 2 dual head GeForce MXs.

so, is each monitor it's own dominant windows interface...or is it one giant view of what i see on one monitor split over as many monitors as you have? what does the display look like with 2 monitors? with more than 2?

You can set it up different ways. You can choose to stretch the desktop and programs across multiple monitors, or you can choose to have each monitor independent from the others, in which case, you can put different apps on different monitors.

There are issues, however. Most 3D games won't start, unless you have the system set to use one display only and some apps are incapable of running on any display other than the primary one.

In the case of games, you just have to reconfigure you display settings, so you are running one display only, then start the game.

You can set it up different ways. You can choose to stretch the desktop and programs across multiple monitors, or you can choose to have each monitor independent from the others, in which case, you can put different apps on different monitors.

There are issues, however. Most 3D games won't start, unless you have the system set to use one display only and some apps are incapable of running on any display other than the primary one.

In the case of games, you just have to reconfigure you display settings, so you are running one display only, then start the game.

oh, ok...that's really cool...thank you....so the settings for these things are in the display menu of the control panel for winXP pro? and they are easy to figure out i guess?

Yeah, they are in the display control panel and are also driver-specific.

Nvidia drivers, for instance, have advanced controls that let you do all sorts of extra stuff.

Back