• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on exporting email

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I use Express in XP. I do plan to go raid eventually after buying a raid card or new mobo, but I need to save or export all my email. I am stumped on how to do it.

Do I need outlook as I do not use it, how can I export all my sent and recieved emails and import them back once I have formated and set up my raid 0 configuration or for that matter the next time I format.

I can export email addresses to a txt file and import them later but what about all my messages sent and received??

cisco kid

lazerin

All your folders are saved in *.dbx files. These are kept in the Identities folder under your loggon name in "Documents & Settings". Back these up and then import them back into the new OE when you are done.

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
The way I do it is to send an e-mail to myself with all my contacts, e-mails etc attached.

Then when I format, re-install I loose nothing. I can't even loose the disc :) Then I set my e-mail back up and it sends me all my e-mails back again.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
RED Hot Machine said:
The way I do it is to send an e-mail to myself with all my contacts, e-mails etc attached.

Then when I format, re-install I loose nothing. I can't even loose the disc :) Then I set my e-mail back up and it sends me all my e-mails back again.

That's a really good idea!

I think Express has an option to export your email, doesn't it? I remember a friend of mine using it once or twice before I had to format her machine.

XprincoX

bargain hunter
yup express has an option to export all your folders: inbox, outbox, contacts, etc etc.. Or you can always just copy the whole folder manually :D

OP
C

Cisco Kid

Well thanks guys for the replies, I have tried a couple things they do not work.

First the suggestion about sending myself an email with all my messages attached is not efficient. I would have to go through a very large amount of emails and save all attahcments first to a folder I create in my root directory. I would need to send literally alot of emails to myself. I am talking 6 months plus of stuff I need to retain for work and billing purposes.

I have tried to export all messages from express under the file function and it tells me that all messages will be exported to Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. I have neither of these progs on my system and even if I did I would still need to get the messages from either of these progs to a folder to allow me to import after a format back to Express.

Second I can not copy all my messages to any other folder outside of Express it does not allow that function.

What can I do if I install outlook or exchange , can I get the messages from either of these progs to a folder that I later can use to import the emails back into express. Once I install OUtlook it will ask to be my default mail and I do not want to use it.

Someone must know how I can do this in a fairly easy method.

Cisco KId

XprincoX

bargain hunter
What version of outlook express are you using? My express lets me drag and drop the messages to a folder on my desktop just fine...

OP
C

Cisco Kid

XprincoX said:
What version of outlook express are you using? My express lets me drag and drop the messages to a folder on my desktop just fine...

I am using version 6, I have the SP1 update for XP OS I use as well as the Oct 30 outlook update for SP1.

When I select all messages and and right click there is no "copy" option only "copy to folder" and this foler can only be within express, I have tried to specify a folder in my "C" directory but no go. Explain how you are doing it??

cisco kid

Last edited:
OP
C

Cisco Kid

when I open express there is no way to minimize the window it is full screen I can not drag outside without closing/minimizing the window

cisco kid

OP
C

Cisco Kid

XprincoX said:
you don't select copy, just highlight all the messages you want and drag it to a folder.

Thanks for your help I figured it out, I needed to play with my screen adj on my monitor, I was able to drag to a folder on desktop!!! Now I can burn this when I need to format and leter import correct or again just drag and drop to my inbox folder.

cisco kid

XprincoX

bargain hunter
LOL or you just click on the minimize button and move the mouse to the corner of the box and resize the whole window manually... :D