• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on heatsink choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x94blair3

Registered
Ok, here goes. I just built a machine using the Antec File server case 350 watt power supply.

Abit KG7, 512mb DDR cruicial, Gainward Geforce 3 TI200 Golden Sample, XP 1800+

I have a Global win WBK38 with a 60mm delta fan...VERY NOISY.

When I first hooked it up, it wouldn't boot and after 3 attempts got the Artic Silver right and everything seems a-ok.

Current according to the abit-via hardware monitor I run about 44 -46 C normally, and I ran the distributed.net client to max ou the CPU (recommended by a friend) for 10 minutes and ended up 51-53 max. The degree difference seemed to be related to the start temp.

I haven't tried overclocking anything yet (and from what I've read, it doesn't appear to be easy so who knows if I will....I don't claim to be overly smooth with that sort of thing). But I might like too, and more than anything I want to make sure I have the right stuff to do it if I want too.

The heatsink was from the same friend who has gone with a water cooled case, but with the EXTREME whine and thirst for low temps after the build lock ups, I'm considering going with either the:

ALPHA PAL8045U - delta fan, or

Swiftech MCX462 Heatsink - delta fan

Does anyone have ANY combination of experience with these fans? Can you vouch/compare the noise level or cooling quality of one or the other of these? I have read up and realize that both the Alpha and Swiftech are great heatsinks, but with my current readings, would I be looking at much of a temp drop? The noise is very important because the first thing the wife said was "why is it so noisy!?!?! :D

I'd appreciate the input anyone has...

One last thing, I'm adding two fans to the front of the case to get full airflow, I was checking out the medium speed ADDA fans (because they seem to push a good amount of air and are rated pretty quiet). Has anyone used these and will vouch for them? I figure this should help with temp too.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Later,

Nick

I have a Vantec (model in my sig) with a Delta fan. Very noisy so it isnt going to help you. I had a Globalwin Fop32-1. It had good cooling and wasnt that loud. I've been trying to find a fan thats not loud and with the same cooling capacities. I'm getting a 60mm to 80mm adapter and see if that helps with a low output Sunon. But the Globalwin FOP 32-1 is quiet and does a decent job.

Hmm...ok, that's a start. I wasn't sure. Everything I've been able to find about the bigger heatsinks that use 80mm fans say they're not necessarily quieter, but they don't make that awful whine noise that this higher rpm 60mm fan seems to. I don't think the wife and I mind the humming as much as the screeching. :D I'll keep researching and would love any more input from anyone in the meanwhile.

Overall I love the system. It seems to fly for most everything I've tried so far, and I haven't even tweaked the memory, cpu, or video card yet. I think the additional fans and reworking my cables will definately help. It's like a whole new world considering all these things, and it'll take a while for me to get it "right". Guess that's half the fun!

BTW, I see that a lot of people have this case, (antec sx1030B, 1035, 1040...I have the 1035B). For anyone that doesn't, and needs a case, I would highly recommend it. I think with the roominess and when I get it hooked up with the additional fans it will be good for cooling, it has plenty of room to work in, and seems sturdy. And it looks pretty cool to boot.

Not that my opinion counts for much with this being my second post here, but I gotta start somewhere ;-)

The Swiftech MCX-462 will shave 10C or more off of that temperature. It still is, in my opinion, the best air cooled heatsink available. The MC-462 performs almost identical to the X. That is based upon running either one with the 68cfm Delta Fan. While it is loud, it moans as opposed to whines. If you look around, you can find the MC-462, used, for a considerable savings over new.

Hoot

Hey, thanks for the tip. Had one post written and it wanted me to "sign in" again..very strange. Anyway, I like the estimated temp drop...sounds promising. And I wouldn't have thought of getting a used one, so I'll take a look around.

Thanks for the help so far.

Nick

Have you try lapping the WBK yet??? I have the WBK and MC-462, they are both great HSF. My temp before lapping on the WBK was 48-51c after lapping my max temp was 44c. I think that is awesome for HSF that only cost $25. My MC-462 max temp is 41-42c. My room temp is around 75-80f. Both of those HSF are loud but I find the MC-462 with the delta 68 is a little better then the delta 38. The 68 is at a lower pitch so it doesnt seem as annoying. If you want to save some $$ you might want to lap the WBK and see how you do(600grit sandpaper t0 2000 grit). If you got the cash go get the MCX or the Alpha. I am going H2O cooling myself since I can't stand the noise right now. Currently I am running a slot A with two delta 38:D .

Can't wait till the 2200+ come out!!! Or should I get the Northwood 1.8?

Check here for comparing fan noise. There are mp3's of different fans, and while it won't give you the exact "live" sound you can at least compare different relative noise levels and qualities. They list many, but not all popular fans. If I was to go 80mm I would get the Sunon High Speed: ~50CFM, but only~40dBA, a very good compromise, and it would probably be drowned out by your case fans :)

No, I haven't tried that yet, I did think about it, but with the wifes complaining, I felt like the overriding thing was the noise. I keep waffling with "do I really need to replace the stuff?...53degree max is pretty good", but then I keep rediscovering the noise problem..hehe. And also the temptation to overclock and play with my new toy (very carefully of course). So although I could probably come up with some other ideas for the money, this is probably a good start :D

After all, no point in putting in good components and not taking care of them.

Wow...great tip. Very helpful! Nice to be able to here the different ones. You're right, compared to some of the others your recommended one is heaven on earth!

And the research goes on!!!....

:)

Nick

Well, after some consideration, I went with the swiftech top heatsink, and the Sunon fan that someone recommended. They should all be here tomorrow. I got two more of the sunon fans and the dust guards to put up into the front of the case as well. When I do that I'll rearrange all the cables as well to get better airflow, and see what happens. Knowing my luck, nothing :D

Then it'll be on to overclocking....

Really basic overclocking question, can I tinker with the speed WITHOUT unlocking the CPU, or not?

Thanks for everyone's advice...I look forward to a cooler CPU and a quieter apartment!

Nick

Back