• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on RAID 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealCpu

I am using the ic7 max 3 and would like to create a raid 0 with this setup

2 120 gig HDD Sata
1 80 gig IDE /will be installing the OS on this HDD

My question is if the OS goes bad do you loose the RAID ARRAY?

OSUmaxx

I'm not sure what you mean about the OS going bad. The only way you'll lose the array is if one of the disks fail. If one fails, the whole array goes down.

Since you're installing the OS on a sep. array, that drive won't affect the array. If it goes down, your array is safe.

OP
U

UnrealCpu

So ok i have to install the OS on a seperate HDD not the Array since the 2 HDD need to be erased?

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
One exception to array safety. Do not use the Disk Manager to mount an NTFS Dynamic disk(single or hardware array) within a folder on the system disk within the OS. In the event of loss of the OS, the array will still be valid, but the new install of Windows will most likely not be able to access the array. This was discovered somewhat painfully. Someone hot unpluged a KVM and due to other hardware errors, Windows corrupted on the server. Windows restored properly, but the dynamic links to the array data were not able to be restored.

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
There is an option to mount a NTFS dynamic drive or array as a folder within another drive. Say the you make an empty folder "Test" on the root dir of C:. You can format and mount an entire drive within the folder and access it via C:/Test. This is a great aid for some applications. We use it to make use of an existing batch Ghost shell for network connection. The drive sizes were fine when we started, but the current array is about 400GB. Rather than rewrite 1600 lines of bach code, it's easier to implement this solution. We do have backups of the arrays, both the RAID 1E0 OS and the RAID 5E data array, but were unpleasantly surprised when following restoration of the primary array, the data array was intact, but Windows was unable to initialize or access the data array. The hardware array was still intact on the controller, but Windows did not recognize the array and the only way to recover was to restore from tape. Not a normal user configuration, but thought I'd mention it as hardware arrays are not always safe.

OSUmaxx

UnrealCpu said:
So ok i have to install the OS on a seperate HDD not the Array since the 2 HDD need to be erased?

You are really confusing me with this one. Above, you listed 3 drives and said you'd be installing on the separate IDE drive. If that's the case, just install Windows to that drive. When you create the RAID 0 array on the other drives, they will be erased in the process.

Can you be a little more specific with your question?

Chris

I'm quite confused on this one myself too, but what I think you want to know is that you can choose to either install the OS on the Raid Array or on the seperate Hard Disk. Now personally what I would do is install the OS on the array so you benefit more from the extra speed of the raid 0 array, I would then use the seperate drive for backing up data and other important files.

-Chris

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
UnrealCpu said:
I am using the ic7 max 3 and would like to create a raid 0 with this setup

2 120 gig HDD Sata
1 80 gig IDE /will be installing the OS on this HDD

My question is if the OS goes bad do you loose the RAID ARRAY?

Since the OS is NOT on the RAID0 Array it will not go south if the array fails.

MatiasZ

Registered
I like better what Chris sugested... there's no reason for having a raid 0 if your not running windows and programs down from it... just setup that raid, partition it, use one partition for windows (around 30-40 Gb) and the rest for usual data... and have that 80GB just for backup, you've gote plenty of space (around 200 GB) to play with so you can spare 80 for backup.. i have the EXACT same setup... and it works flawlessly...