• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on shared video on laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I am gonna be buying a laptop really soon, I have set my budget at no more than about 1300 US or 1900 CND.

I will be buying in Canada,This is what I am considering to buy,

http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/comm...um=2009&mainCatNum=2160&parent=VAIO_NOTEBOOKS

The reason are it has a 15 inch screen which I want, combo /dvd 256 DDR ,30 gig drive and an XP1800 cpu with Nvidia® GeForce4 420 Go graphics chip with 32 MB DDR SDRAM and 3D hardware acceleration.

I am gonna use this laptop for work, I work for an insurance company and I will be using it to present our products. I know I could use alot less but this will also be second machine around home to back up our digital pictures and it will be used alot by my wife to surf and do whatever. I want the laptop to be able to play games that are fairly new like UT or RTCW as example.

Now after reading abit more I am seeing ATI AGP 4X 64 DDR shared video and I am wondering if that is better than what this VAIO comes with.

The other reason for the Sony is my bud is National Account Manager for Canada, since this laptop is discoed I may be able to get it for a good deal, less than the 1290 US or 1900 CND I have found it for.

I would prefer a 64 dedicated vid card and 512 mem but mem can be added later, but I know I want at least a P4 1.7 or XP1800 or higher. A celery 1.8 will pass as well and I need 30 gigs min with 15" screen.

Any other final suggestions cause I am gonna have to choose soon.

Cisco KId

Truthfully, I'd said "Dude, get a Dell." I used to have one (sold it cause I don't need one) and it was sweet. had a 32Mb GF4 Go 420 SDR though...if you're gonna game you definately want at least the 440DDR...not sure about the ATi 7500's Dell has none of their tops have the ATi 9000 though.

But yea, my vote goes to Dell (and I've built a few under your 1300 budget) Sony is a close second though.

Good luck.

Akumu X said:
Truthfully, I'd said "Dude, get a Dell." I used to have one (sold it cause I don't need one) and it was sweet. had a 32Mb GF4 Go 420 SDR though...if you're gonna game you definately want at least the 440DDR...not sure about the ATi 7500's Dell has none of their tops have the ATi 9000 though.

But yea, my vote goes to Dell (and I've built a few under your 1300 budget) Sony is a close second though.

Good luck.

Yeah Dell has entered my mind but only if I can get a good deal or they run a promo in the paper. What can you say about the G4 420 Go 32 DDR. It appears to be decent but I am searching for a bit more if possible.

Cisco KId

IT's DDR as opposed to the SDR? That's good. I'd try for the 440...either 32 or 64MB flavor though. 420 just seems crippled to me...

It would be nice if their was an Radeon 9000 in one of those boxes...but I think that's for rigs outta your range.

If all else fails I'm sure the 32MB 420DDR will do ya good. :eek:

Akumu X said:
IT's DDR as opposed to the SDR? That's good. I'd try for the 440...either 32 or 64MB flavor though. 420 just seems crippled to me...

It would be nice if their was an Radeon 9000 in one of those boxes...but I think that's for rigs outta your range.

If all else fails I'm sure the 32MB 420DDR will do ya good. :eek:

Yeah it is 32 DDR and to get more I have to shell out more which I do not want to do. Thanks for feedback

Cisco KId

Back