• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on the Vega GPU's.. compared to Nivida

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From the article

The RX Vega 64’s boost speed is 1630 MHz, which this air-cooled graphics card never reaches in real life due to the power consumption and temperature limiters set in the hardware. It clocks down to stay within the limits and this has an impact on the performance.

Yea i get the temperature thing.. but it wont even reach 1500mhz the split second the game comes on.. if it reach 1630 it would go to 1630 and slowely drop down.. Not start immediatly at 1490mhz My card wont even reach 1500mhz if i overclock it.

I tried wolfenstein 2 the new colossus... Oh man.. freesync looks soooo nice.. Left right slowely looking... sooo nice, turn freesync off and yukk the motion looks so blurry almost.. Turn it back on smooth as silk.. its amazing how good freesync looks... But of course the screen flickers.. AMD has issues with flickering screen and freesync.. its like a faint flicker.. there isa gigantic thread on the AMD forums talking about it..

This freesync on wolfenstein almost convinced me and changed my mind.. but the flicker...

Why cant anything JUST work you know what i mean

Yeah, it gets frustrating. I heard the next gen Vega cards aren't even going to have a gaming version, they're just workstation cards. It would be nice if Nvidia let go of the G sync royalties and went with Freesync. I'm sure Team Green makes a few bucks there, but how many people are willing to spend a hundred dollars more for one of those monitors? I would think using the open source Freesync would let them sell more cards overall.

Gsync isnt just $100 more, but you are also so limited on the selection of monitors. The reason i got this Viotek GN27D was mainly because of what it has..

1x Freesync was just a plus
2. 2560x1440 resolution on a 27 inch monitor is hard to find this makes it have a .21 pixel pitch or around 120PPI pixels per square inch of the monitor which makes everything smooth clear and crisp looking vs say a 27 inch on a 1920x1080 or a 31 inch with the 2560x1440 resolution.. PPI is very important.. My monitor visually the screen looks better then any larger monitor with the same resolution or any equal size monitor with a lesser resolution. Finding a 2K monitor with a PPI this high is hard.
3. Its Curved, Curved looks alot better then flat.
4. The price was only $380.
5. Its a VA panel, so better colors then a TN and not as expensive as an IPS.

This is litterally the only 27 inch monitor with these options. And Nvidia's selection is even worse.

Yea If nvidia had freesync.. LOL i wouldnt even have bought the Vega 64, or made this thread of be tearing myself apart making a decision on what to keep or what to buy. Have you see freesync in action ? Its litterally like real life.. And without freesync there is a left to right looking around motion blurr or delay on everything. But then you got that flickering issue... Freesync looks good but not when the screen flickers.. id rather have motion blur looking around then a flickering display. The flicker looks like a flicker from those old florescent tube light bulbs in a office building.. If that makes sense

- - - Updated - - -

Here this is what the flickering looks like on freesync

Yea bull crap isnt it ? Seems to not do it in Resident evil 7. World of warships. mechwarrior online. or the witcher 3.

But it dies do it in wolfenstein 2 the new colossus and sometimes in warhammer total war.. but i havent seen it in total war ina awhile.

Uhg... Decisions decisions.. keep the card or keep the 1070ti.

Be honest what would you do... I ttied fast sync oer what someone mentioned fir the 1070ti still looks nothing like freesync

Are you running Windows 10? If not, the lack of DX12 and an older chip may be enough to hurt the Vega's potential vs. the 1070 Ti. I'm just guessing on this, though. I'm not very up to speed on the Vega. I don't know if Vega is more CPU dependent than the Pascal chips or not. Maybe ED will pop back in with some insight there.

Its ok, i finally got the Vega to work in subnautica by downgrading to drivers from months ago.. And it has micro sutter in subnautica which apon researching is common with the vega 64, it also micro sutters on warhammer when i moved around the whole map it started horribly micro stuttering, the 1070ti doesnt do any of this.

Its just 1 issue after another with Vega.. I called newegg and setup a RMA, they at first were only giving me store credit but i had to convince the supervisor to do a credit back to my card. Ive been with newegg for 14 years and ive never returned an item except for now and they wanted to pull some BS on with with store credit.. They also were only going to give me $540 back not $600.. Because of the |"free" game. I never used the code yet, and the card was listed at 600$ not 540.. what they did was charge me 540, and 60 for the game but the invoice doesnt say that.. Sketchy as company.

Had to threaten a charge back and dispute with my bank and they finally relented. Im not paying $600 for a card that micro sutters, doesnt reach advertised core speeds, freesync doesnt work it causes flickering.. and the damn card gets to 82-83c and thats with me just playing a game for 30 minutes. Screw that

I recorded a video of the flickering the vega 64 did, ima upload it to youtube and post it here so you can see what i ment

Well i just mailed out that pos vega 64.. and the 1070ti already had an rna setuo beause i bought the vega 64 not knowing itd be junk.

So i decided to mail both out just now. I went to micro center where i live and they had a Asus Rig Strix 1080TI i
overclocked edition for 770$

So i bought that.. lol i told myself no i dont wanna spend 500$.. then nope i dont wannt spend 600 and git the vega.. then i buy thr best card Nvidis has minus the titan of course... lol

Uhg i never thought id spend 800$ on just a videi card ever..

Cant wait to hook it up though

I think my 1080Ti was the single most expensive component I ever bought, but once I started running, had zero regrets. I have the Strix too. A nice jump from a 980Ti (about same as 1070).

No doubt you could rig a keyboard and mouse to that thing, plug in a PSU and start gaming!

..cpu and Mobo? What cpu and mobo? Card is powerful enough it doesn't need any of that:D

Speaking of CPU man lol... My 4790k Cant keep up with the 1080ti... With my R9-290 and 4790k when i built this system in 2015, I could downclock my cpu to 3000mhz and my games fps never dropped.. With the 1070ti and Vega 64 i tried overclocking my 4790k and still nothing, downclocking it.. nothing.

BUT with the 1080TI, i noticed the fps seemed only 30% higher (yes i said ONLY lol) then the 1070ti in warhammer total war 2. A little slower then i thought, So i decided to overclock my 4790k to the max ive been able to get it at which is 4700mhz, and from 4000 MHZ to 4700mhz i saw a 10% improvement in FPS.. so basically im talking from 63 fps to 70 fps.. Interesting, so It took a 1080TI to finally topple the mighty 4790k lol. This cpu is no slouch man

Yea the 770 plus tax ended up to be like 820$ for the strix.. I was like what the hell am i doing spending this much money, I think the most ive ever spent was $400, for a 9700pro.. Or 8800GTS. The rest of my cards like a 4890k and the r9-290 were only like $350... And now that im gaming with it.. im so happy. In Total war warhammer 2 the Campaign map benchmark, the Vega 64 On ultra got 59fps, and 68 with shadows off. The 1070TI got 73 On ultra, and 78 with shadows off. The 1080TI, got 98 on Ultra, and 112 with shadow off.. The other benchmarks were all the same story.. 30% more then the 1070ti, and 50+% more then the Vega 64

So think about this for a second, the Vega got 59fps.. The 1080ti got 98... then the vega got 68, and the 1080TI got 112.. Thats 70% SEVENTY PERCENT more fps..

EDIT: i just tried subnautica..... HAHAH, The Vega 64 was getting 60-70fps swiming around at the starting point, the 1070ti was getting maybe 65-75 fps. The 1080TI... im getting 110-125fps .... WTF is that even possible to see 110% more fps then a Vega 64 or 1070ti

Last edited:
Back