• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
in linux, the GPU utilization, PCIE bandwidth utilization and other info can be viewed in the "nvidia x server settings" application, which was installed along with the nvidia driver. you can also see some gpu info by running "nvidia-smi" in a terminal window.

linux would be ok with single gpu running at x16 gen2, but suspect heavy load with two gpu at x8/x8 gen2.

in linux, the GPU utilization, PCIE bandwidth utilization and other info can be viewed in the "nvidia x server settings" application, which was installed along with the nvidia driver. you can also see some gpu info by running "nvidia-smi" in a terminal window.

linux would be ok with single gpu running at x16 gen2, but suspect heavy load with two gpu at x8/x8 gen2.
It is trivial to try it out. I am thinking just plug it in and add in a GPU in the client. I wonder does Linux even ask for a driver when it detects a new GPU...

Every thing working .....PPD over 6mill , coolbit working..not changing power limit , I mean I do not see a point in changing it. It is at 380W...Temps are good at 67c.

I can not find preferences to change the mouse click to single...none of the directions apply ...wondering if I need to install something.

I have not had to make any adjustments or software install for my mouse in linux. I do have one mouse/host which has tendency to open two terminal windows when I click on the icon. Perhaps there is adjustment for the mouse speed somewhere or try different usb port for the mouse.

I am still interested in PCIE utilization for the 3080 on Gen2, especially if there are now two GPU at x8/x8 Gen2. Will likely be different for each project. When I checked earlier today, my host with two 2070 Super on x8/x8 Gen 3 were at 50-55% PCIE utilization on p18431. The GPU utilization was at 95% with power limit set at 170w (factory setting is 240w.) My 980Ti are set at 200w (factory setting 300w).

Happy to know the 3080 will run/fold on older motherboard with gen2.

I have not had to make any adjustments or software install for my mouse in linux. I do have one mouse/host which has tendency to open two terminal windows when I click on the icon. Perhaps there is adjustment for the mouse speed somewhere or try different usb port for the mouse.

I am still interested in PCIE utilization for the 3080 on Gen2, especially if there are now two GPU at x8/x8 Gen2. Will likely be different for each project. When I checked earlier today, my host with two 2070 Super on x8/x8 Gen 3 were at 50-55% PCIE utilization on p18431. The GPU utilization was at 95% with power limit set at 170w (factory setting is 240w.) My 980Ti are set at 200w (factory setting 300w).

Happy to know the 3080 will run/fold on older motherboard with gen2.

By default ubuntu needs a double click on the left mouse button to open things. It used to be in Edit / Preferences and that I can not find anywhere in Ubuntu 20.04. You can change it to single click. It is just annoying that it is so hard to find. My mouse is working fine.

Ubuntu 1804, I put shortcuts for the frequently used apps in the favorites bar, which only requires one click.

I found it...

• Open any folder click on the hamburger
  • Click on preferences
  • Click on Behavior tab
  • Click on Single click to open items

I know it may be intimidating but if you're going to go to the effort of having folding machines on linux, might as well go non-gui and configure everything via command line. Honestly, not having to deal with the display drivers simplifies things in a lot of ways, especially for ubuntu and nvda. Just my 2c. Glad to see other folks getting the linux perf bump though!

I know it may be intimidating but if you're going to go to the effort of having folding machines on linux, might as well go non-gui and configure everything via command line. Honestly, not having to deal with the display drivers simplifies things in a lot of ways, especially for ubuntu and nvda. Just my 2c. Glad to see other folks getting the linux perf bump though!
The GUI only took 2.5 hours and it is set up and forget it and the Nvidia drivers come with Ubuntu now. So for someone who is only f@h on a PC...I couldn't possibly do it any faster in terminal. I think the terminal is for smart people...I better stay away. :D

The GUI only took 2.5 hours and it is set up and forget it and the Nvidia drivers come with Ubuntu now.

My, my, how times have changed. My folding machine is on 18.04 because 20.xx wouldn't work because of a Python depreciation, I think? Hopefully it just runs till the end of time (or security updates end)

Back