• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question reg old chipset (440LX)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pandur

Hi,
does any of you know the details of this chipset? I'm wondering if it has a proper divider for 100Mhz fsb.

In other words, if I get it running at 100Mhz will my pci and agp speeds be out of whack or will I they be at 33/66Mhz?

I got an old mobo that I wanna try this out on. (Just for the heck of it really). It has jumper settings for 66-75-83-100Mhz fsb. So I figure if I put a heatsink on the northbridge I might have a shot at 100. :D

In all honesty I'm assuming that there aren't any proper dividers, but I have been unable to google up any answers.

larva

Inactive Moderator
LX=83MHZ max

The LX chipset is identical to BX except for the fact that it does not have proper divisors for 100MHz operation. At 83MHz your PCI is at 41.5MHZ, and this is the limiting factor. I have never gotton a LX based machine stable at a FSB greater than 83MHZ. 88-90MHz might work with a modern AGP video card, but as you have seen the FSB choices on nearly all LX board either stop at 83 or jump to a (non-functional) 100MHz.

OP
P

Pandur

Ok thanks. Thats more or less what I assumed.

Guess I'll try modding these 2 old Celery 366 slot1 cpus to work in smp instead. I got an old ASUS P2L97-DS mobo here that I wanna play around with. ;) And I don't have any P2 233-333 cpus laying around.