• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding GPU power usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hi guys - so I'm new to the OC-scene, and I have a question regarding GPU power usage. I have a Asus Strix GTX 1080, and I've been using EVGA Precision X for my OC. I have reached a stable OC with 200mhz offset and power target set at 120%, temp target at 92 degrees. The voltage-bar is set to 100%. Under full load in Valley benchmark the power usage fluctuates between 110-118% where it hits the power limit. It also hits voltage limit, but temperature is stable at around 77 degrees and fan at 63% speed. I ran Valley over night and then Furmark for 9 hours, and the GPU clock settles at 2088mhz, so I'm pretty happy (for now).

My question is this: When I revert back to default settings in EVGA Precision and don't touch anything, the graphics card still uses around 100% power on full load, sometimes up to 105% where it hits power limit. Everything else seems fine, the GPU clock stays at 1873mhz with temp. at 73 degrees, fan at 57% speed. I've watched youtube-vids of people OCing GTX 1080s and their power usage usually hovers around 80% before OC after which it ramps up to over 100%, up to 120% as expected. So is it normal that the card hits power limit before OC? With 6+8 pin power cables I would think that the card didn't hit 100% power usage when not being overclocked. Any thoughts?

The rest of my setup:

MSI Z170A Gaming pro carbon
i7 6700k OC to 4,5ghz
16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 2400mhz
Corsair CX750M 750w PSU
Samsung PM951 SSD 512GB PCIe

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Welcome!

The power cables attached really have nothing to do with the power limit/how much power the card will use at a given clockspeed and voltage. Typically cards do not reach the limit at stock speeds but can be close. It depends on the test used. Furmark may push it past the limit stock because it's an unrealistic load for the gpu (don't use it). Stick to valley or heaven.

OP
A

Welcome!

The power cables attached really have nothing to do with the power limit/how much power the card will use at a given clockspeed and voltage. Typically cards do not reach the limit at stock speeds but can be close. It depends on the test used. Furmark may push it past the limit stock because it's an unrealistic load for the gpu (don't use it). Stick to valley or heaven.

Thank you for replying - I've been playing Deus Ex and Tomb Raider on stock speeds to test real-life conditions, and the power usage fluctuates between 97 and 105 %. Is this something I should be worrying about, or not? Everything else seems just fine, as mentioned in the OP. Also, I'm going to stick to Valley and Heaven :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have seen that on occasion but is not typical... I wouldn't worry about it. Just raise the power limit all the way so it doesn't trip. :)