• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question: Under the CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Root5098

The other day I was putting my new heatsink and I noticed that half of my CPU pins are covered by a sticker (from the shop where I bought the CPU)..

Was just wondering, does this affect anything?

Also, I've noticed my RAM usage is at 30% even with only Windows 7 required programs.

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.8GHz
RAM: OCZ 3GB @ 1333MHz

kkpudge7

Could you possibly take a picture of the sticker you are talking about? Is the sticker in between the heatsink and the cpu? or actually under the cpu? Either way this doesn't sound like a good thing. If its on top of the cpu you are going to have some major heat transfer issues with your heatsink. What are your temps like at full load?

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
The reason for the seemingly high memory usage is actually quite beneficial to your use. Windows 7 caches the programs that you use the most in that used area of your memory, so that it opens faster when you open it. I can't remember the name of the process off the top of my head, but something is making me want to say Superfetch. I wouldn't worry too much about the memory management, since it is a lot better than it was in XP and Vista.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I've seen a couple CPUs with stickers but those were the old day of PGA (386's specifically) where it was easy to shove the CPU into the socket without bending any pins. But in your case, a ticker on CPU or the socket pins are bad. You're sure it didn't float there when you moved the CPU off?

Lavacon

I think they call it prefetching in W7.

There was an actual sticker on CPU??? That's a pain in the butt... hopefully any residue comes off easily with some 93-97% alcohol...

OP
R

Root5098

Alright, thanks for the replies about the memory usage, I understand it now, and I'll take a picture in 5 minutes, I just need to make sure I've got enough thermal paste to re-apply :)

Temps are around 50*c under full load

Last edited:
OP
R

Root5098

Here's the picture:

The text is: "Do not R....."
Also the item number, it's definetly from the shop where I bought it.

(Sorry if image is big)

Direct Link to MASSIVE image: http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5917/photo0468001.jpg

Resized Image

I don't really care about the shop warranty, but is it there for any other reason for it being there? Or can I remove it?

Last edited:

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I was wondering how your CPU was working with a sticker on the underside...now I see that the sticker isn't on the pins. The pins are outside the square section in the middle, the little circles.

Yes, you should remove it, you don't want it to start burning/catch fire under your CPU.

I can't believe someone would install a CPU with a sticker on it...

Bobnova

I don't see how that's a major issue if it's not conductive. Now if they put it on the pads, that's different.

OP
R

Root5098

Removed the sticker now, thanks for replies. BIOS claimed I had a new CPU though lol :D (which it didn't do when I replaced the cpu cooler o.0)

Bobnova

Often if you remove the cpu from the socket and put it back it the BIOS will think it's a new CPU.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Often if you remove the cpu from the socket and put it back it the BIOS will think it's a new CPU.

Quite right.

A sticker on the bottom of the CPU? I thought I'd seen it all, but apparently not. Wow.
I forgot to install the standoffs behind the motherboard of the first computer I ever built which was dumb, but at least I could chalk it up to inexperience.
This is a whole different ballgame. You would expect someone who builds PC's in a computer store to know better.

turbohans

The reason for the seemingly high memory usage is actually quite beneficial to your use. Windows 7 caches the programs that you use the most in that used area of your memory.
+1
Yup its nice, it will accually use ALL of your memory as either cach or dedicated ram. You can see what it is doing in your "Resource Monitor" under the "Memory" tab. to get that open just go to the task bar and start typing R-E-S untill you see resource monitor and open it.

edit: oh forgot to mention,, the sticker is nothing to worry about. Motherboards and chips in general are accually pretty durrabale and condutivity rarley effects anything. There is even some videos on youtube of people pouring watter on motherboards while they are running and running systems immersed in oil for long periods of time.

2nd edit!: Whoh wait?!!? on the bottom of the CPU?????!!?!?!? that just isn't cool!

Last edited:
OP
R

Root5098

The store staff don't have a clue about hardware lol, before I knew what I was doing with PC's, I would get them to do things (as they originally built it and had warranty on it).

I've had 6 PSU's in less than 8 months from that store when I had warranty on my comp, because they couldn't understand that they needed a PSU with a decent amp rating rather than high watt rating.. (which even I knew back then lol) :rolleyes:

They'd also charge a £35 "manual labour" fee to insert say.. a new GPU or hard drive, oh and to build my PC originally, it took them 2 weeks..

Needless to say when I bought my i7 kit, I built it myself, but they still found a way to mess things up with the sticker on the CPU :D

Oh and if you want extra lol's I'll take a picture later of the notes they wrote about my computer when it wasn't working.. :p

Last edited:

Lavacon

Ooh Ooh do tell. This sounds like a notch above the local "Geek" squad here in NH :)

By the way, that will $2 for this comment ;-)

OP
R

Root5098

I'll just type it for now because theres something wrong with the focus on my camera..

4x Labour Charge (£35 each). 1 for GPU upgrade, 1 for extra Hard drive (see below..), 2 for PSU replacement (because they decided that even though it's their fault it broke after they had replaced 2 for free, they'd charge me anyway).

1x 650W 24pin PSU -- 28 / 05 / 2008
1x 550W Standard PSU -- 17 / 06 / 2008
1x 600W SLI Ready 24pin PSU -- 23 / 06 / 2008
1x 600W Standard 24pin PSU -- 19 / 06 / 2008
and two others that I couldnt find invoices for

I couldnt find the other invoices and returns advice notes as there was more about my PSUs :p

Below are some examples of the notes

The customer was informed that there maybe a possibility that we may need to format the harddrive and install Windows again, at this point a new 750Gb harddrive was purchased and fitted as a master and the original set as a slave.

Data on the original harddrive is very badly corrupt and an attempt to recover these files failed as the software could not locate readable files on the harddrive."

When he said we may need to format.. I said no, and he said "Unless your buying a new hard drive I'm going to have to format" giving me no choice at all because i had hundreds of pounds worth of software on there (legal + business ofcourse) and I needed a working comp quick..

Also, another guy (who was doing the software recovery for HDD) said: "The whole HDDs got sector errors, you won't get anything from it if this software can't.."
So I get home, open D: drive and everythings there, working as normal :rolleyes:

By the way, the only reason I was going there was because it's the only shop within like 30 miles of me and they kind of, have good prices.

Last edited: