• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about applying thermal grease

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alanon

I bought a pII 450 and a sink/fan. I just put the sink/fan directly to the chip. Now I wan to use some artic silver grease. How do I go about putting it on? Where do I put the grease on? Chip or the Heatsink? How much do I put on? How long does it take to dry? Please help...

I haven't done it yet, but I can say the same thing I've read everywhere (whether or not its helpful is debatable). You should spread the paste on the chip with a razorblade or anything else thats flat and clean. It should be the thickness of 1 or 2 pieces of normal weigh paper. As far as I know it never really dries... the paste won't hold anything on, thats the clips job.

ReNeG@dE (Jan 18, 2001 04:08 p.m.):
I haven't done it yet, but I can say the same thing I've read everywhere (whether or not its helpful is debatable). You should spread the paste on the chip with a razorblade or anything else thats flat and clean. It should be the thickness of 1 or 2 pieces of normal weigh paper. As far as I know it never really dries... the paste won't hold anything on, thats the clips job.

You are right, Renegade! Just apply a very thin layer of the Arctic Silver to the CPU, and you can use a razor blade to make it even. As soon as the grease is applied, gently put the heatsink on. Be sure that the heatsink has been cleaned before you attach it!

Back